Garmin GDL 82 antenna location

Clay Johnson

I got an MRA to install the GDL 82 and the GDL 39 on a tray I built that sits just aft of, and attaches to, the mount of the 696. Works fine. The ADS-B flight check had no problems. No holes in the roof and nothing visible on the glare shield except the residue of the goo left over from the adhesive left over from removing the XM antenna. If I were to do it over again,IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.fbe5cdfd65f8ef9a0d7228af32b7cb8e.JPG I would make the tray shorter and sit slightly lower (longer tab that attaches to the 696). The tray comes close to the firewall and doesn't need to be quite that big.  The tray acts as the ground plane for the antenna and the box for the GDL 82 is mounted beneath.  FD-USA put the caveat in the MRA that if it failed the ADS-B flight test I would have to do something different.

The antenna won't work well unless it has a certain number of square inches of metal in contact with it. Foil tape under the mushroom worked just fine in a friend's CT. I have seen a Citabria that used the foil tape as well. The trick would be to ensure electrical contact of the tape with the antenna.  Maybe put an aluminum doubler under the mushroom which the antenna mounting screws attach. I believe the GA-35 antenna specs out a 7" diameter disc at a minimum. One would have to do the math to get equivalent or better square inches of foil tape.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I installed a GDL 82 in my 2006 CTsw (ELSA) flown in the US.  I am not aware of any problems with it being detected by other pilots with ADSB-in and my FAA Public ADS-B Performance Reports have been good.  Have no experience with FR24.  

1 hour ago, FredG said:

I installed a GDL 82 in my 2006 CTsw (ELSA) flown in the US.  I am not aware of any problems with it being detected by other pilots with ADSB-in and my FAA Public ADS-B Performance Reports have been good.  Have no experience with FR24.  

I don't think there is any issues with other pilots or the FAA being able to see it. The only issue is with the ground antenna that are providing info for FR24 or Flight aware. They are privately owned antenna, and may not always report the info. At least that is my understanding.

You take a longer flight in many parts of Iowa and you will have to buzz the water tower to know what town you are over.  There'll be a town every 6 or so miles on a grid and unless you know which side of the tracks the grain elevator is on you won't know Belle Plain from Newhall from Van Horne.  In the old days, there would be the name of the airport and an arrow on some large building roof, but you almost never see that anymore.  How many of you have seen the arrow to the airport?

19 hours ago, airhound said:

https://flightaware.com/squawks/view/1/7_days/popular_new/95072/FAA_Urges_Pilots_to_Rely_on_Traditional_Navigation_Amid_Rising_GPS_Spoofing_Threats

fellas, other than a sectional and whisky compass, what’s your alternate means of nav? Maybe a HH with VOR, or ? 

What does this have to do with transmitting and receiving ADSB?

Adsb is gps based. GPS is becoming less tenable more and more due to bad actors. Thought I’d pulse fellow pilots currently focused on anything GPS for alternatives. Please excuse me diverging from this threads topic. 

Kindly, what is your plan for alternate navigational aids? Especially when navigating in unfamiliar airspace.

Edited by airhound

2 hours ago, airhound said:

Adsb is gps based. GPS is becoming less tenable more and more due to bad actors. Thought I’d pulse fellow pilots currently focused on anything GPS for alternatives. Please excuse me diverging from this threads topic. 

Kindly, what is your plan for alternate navigational aids? Especially when navigating in unfamiliar airspace.

GPS has stayed very reliable in my experience.  My alternate nav method is my eyeballs and the sectionals on my iPad.