Tumbleweed

To comply with the ADS-B 2020mandate, we are having a Garmin Aera 660 installed to replace our Garmin 496, and a Garmin GTX 345 w/WAAS GPS installed to replace our Garmin GTX330.  We have a 2007 CTSW.  My avionics shop is unfamiliar with Flight Design, and wants me to ask the Forum if anybody knows (1) what is the best method and (2) what is the best location on our 2007 CTSW, to install the new WAAS GPS antenna, as it needs to be facing up and in clear view of the sky to receive the mandated satellite reception.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Robin

My WAAS GPS antenna was installed (and linked to a 335)  on the top of the cabin area, just forward and inboard of the left hand flap. I’ll try to remember to grab a couple pictures next time I am at the hangar. I wasn’t the one who got the MRO (previous owner did this), but wouldn’t that be addressed in the MRO? Or are you experimental?

Robin,

I have the same installation (GTX-345 and Aera 660) that you will have. The shop I used got the MRA instructions from FD USA. Your shop will need to do the same. The instructions specify the antenna will go on the cabin roof but the precise location seems to have been left to the shop and Garmin install instructions. Mine seems to be located similar to Garretts except it is lined up with the center of the left hand flap. This install was 2 years ago and there have been no problems. A bigger screen would have been nice for an easier read of the traffic information but a quick tap of the target enlarges the info and adds additional info.

Archived