do I need to filter mogas?

John Lancaster

• 2 months later...

Update on this... After the Roger Lee Rotax course, and, speaking with a few veterans at my airport... the Mogas option is 1) optimum for the engine,  2) "it's ok" to do at our airport, and, 3) as others on this forum attest, there is no or minor gas smell in the hot hangar.  

I investigated several fueling options and chose the following gas can at Lowes.  

https://www.surecanusa.com/   if the link doesn't work, Google "Surecan" Lowes, etc.

I bought a light rubber mat that I place on the wing,  I lift the 5 gals can (I bought -- 2) onto the rubber mat, and place the nozzle into the tank, press the button and wait for the can to empty.  Thus far, no drawbacks, no spills, no leaks.  Highly recommend this option as a simple gas program for local flying.  Naturally, if I were to put 30 gallons in, it would be a hardship (many cans/trips).

At least I can extend the oil change timing now... 

Nothing beats a tuffjug for refueling. Try one of these and you’ll never go back. Fast and easy and foolproof. Set it down in the fuel tank and the weight releases the valve and empties 5 gals in 45 seconds  

Tuff Jug TJ1R-2PK Red Gasoline Fuel Container - 5 Gallon Capacity, (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC1SUQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qxA-CbJCDV7KB

Kent, never seen that option... wish I had.  Does the hose/gun make it up to the tank opening with the tank staying on the floor?   

ZZ I have that version in yellow diesel (bottom shelf in your photo) for my Kubota tractor and yes it works very well.  I bought the can type that I posted on previously because I didn't want to lift the 5 gallon tank into position (back injury) and hold the can while pouring.  The Option I am now using, featured above, solves that 2nd lifting step.  I just point the straw into the tank, press a button and wait 5 minutes.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:34 PM, KentWien said:

While we’re sharing our fuel solutions, this is what I use. Both 10.5 gallon tanks fit in my Honda Element nicely. 

https://www.overtons.com/flo-fast-portable-21-gallon-gasoline-transfer-system-331183.html

10 turns per gallon. 

I've considered that system, but fueling a high-wing plane with it seems problematic.  How do you manage? 

I fill my plane using 2.5 gal No-Spill cans (I have 6 of them). Sure, it's a bunch of cans, but they're much easier to tote up a ladder. 

I use a small step stool. Put the hose into the tank (after grounding the can to exhaust). Ten turns per gallon. Then just stop short of what I measured with the sticks and slowly fill the rest to top it off.

Works well. Hose easily reaches the top of the wing with the tanks on the ground. I can get 11.5 gallons or maybe a bit more into a can and still have room to spare. 

I use the “PureGas” app to find local gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel, although I wouldn’t hesitate to use ethanol 91 or above fuel. 

On 6/6/2019 at 4:47 PM, Ben2k9 said:

Nothing beats a tuffjug for refueling. Try one of these and you’ll never go back. Fast and easy and foolproof. Set it down in the fuel tank and the weight releases the valve and empties 5 gals in 45 seconds  

Tuff Jug TJ1R-2PK Red Gasoline Fuel Container - 5 Gallon Capacity, (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC1SUQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qxA-CbJCDV7KB

I've used 2 of these for several years. Works like a charm. Won't overfill.  It is getting more difficult getting a full can up a ladder though!

I used to worry about that weight on the airplanes filler neck but so far so good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 10:38 PM, sandpiper said:

I've used 2 of these for several years. Works like a charm. Won't overfill.  It is getting more difficult getting a full can up a ladder though!

I used to worry about that weight on the airplanes filler neck but so far so good. 

Is there any reason to worry about this?  It never crossed my mind. 

2 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

Probably not.  I have been fueling this way for over five years with no issues.  Just keep an eye on the epoxy filler between the wing skin and the metal filler.  If you notice any cracks, separation, or significant fuel stains, the epoxy can be Dremeled out and new epoxy put in.  I have not had problems there but other have (not related to refueling method AFAIK).

3 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

I don't know either. Like Andy, I've  been doing this for at least 5 years with no problem. I only posted that because some on the forum have had to replace/repair the epoxy around the fuel neck for unknown reasons. It's just something to watch.. I make sure I don't "slam" the jug into the filler neck. I hold it up and let it open gently.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, sandpiper said:

I don't know either. Like Andy, I've  been doing this for at least 5 years with no problem. I only posted that because some on the forum have had to replace/repair the epoxy around the fuel neck for unknown reasons. It's just something to watch.. I make sure I don't "slam" the jug into the filler neck. I hold it up and let it open gently.

Same here, John. It has worked out just fine for almost 5 years.

Just as a precaution . . . when I insert the filler neck into the refueling port, I gently ease the Tuff-Jug down into the refuel position, allowing the valve to open . . . then I take some of the weight off the jug, until a couple gallons of fuel empties. If that is not done, at start, there will be over 30 lbs. of weight pressing against the outer ring of the port ring.