First Passenger... new pilot, new plane

AGLyme

We had a "good day" window here in Connecticut between snow storms.  I felt confident enough to take my 20 yo son up to the famous Sky Acres airport restaurant in NY State (44N) as my first pasenger .  Sky Acres is a 70 ish mile trip from home.  My in-shape son and his out of shape Dad filled the tanks up to 1,250 GW... the most weight I had experienced in the CT before without a CFI.  We still climbed out at an honest 800 fpm and I wasn't trying.  It was a bit breezy, mostly just a glancing cross wind down the runway so I decided to land at zero flaps.  Final was too fast because I came in too high but managed to get it on the ground in time for the first turn off.  Had a great breakfast and quickly got back in the plane for the flight back as the clouds on the horizon looked a tad on the dark side...

Getting licensed again and buying the plane were fun... but there is nothing in this world more awesome than taking a family member up flying to "get breakfast".  A milestone I have been dreaming about for years... I admire the young pilot/Dads and Moms who are taking their young children on flying adventures... nothing beats it. 

Fly safely everyone, Andrew

JG and AG first passenger.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best flight ever.... my oldest son decided that he was ready to go flying today.  Will is a special needs adult and for weeks we practiced staying still, keeping a sterile cockpit while landing and making sure his feet are out of the way of the pedals.  He was extremely nervous so we agreed to taxi around the airport and watch and listen to the planes take off and land using the headphones... which we have done countless times sitting in a car in airport parking lots.

We started up and taxied 100 feet and he said “can we take off?”  Of course...  he laughed, pointed at every landmark, never seen a happier person in an airplane.  Made it all worth getting the license and the plane.  Great day.

Posted a photo of the very cool Goodspeed Airport (42B) approach over the Connecticut River, and the bridge.  The airport is top left hand side.

8EDAF970-2BFC-4081-A798-4B83417457EC.jpeg

BC3E3549-7E4F-4C49-A362-7F122CDD5156.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Continuing this thread, hopefully inspiring other new CT pilots/owners:  Made it to OSH and back... what a great, efficient flying machine.

Below is a copy of a post I made in another forum:

First, thank you to all the fine people on this site for answering my questions about flying to OSH, I am grateful. And I put your answers and advice to good use.

For me, 96% of the OSH 2019 goal was the flight there and back. I made it, the plane flew perfectly and I learned a ton. The wind cooperated both ways, not a single headwind moment. Average flying speed was 130 mph and I burned sub 4 gals/hour. Astonishingly, I didn't have to stop on the way back, I could have made it back to my home airport in CT without a fuel stop, but I did anyway in Western New York... I wanted to physically stick the tanks even though I could see the physical fuel in the site tubes... and fill up, I am conservative by nature.

I realize the lake route was risky, but I spent hours researching the weather the night before. And I weighed the weather along the southern route vs the direct over the Lake(s) route. The WX (rain, cloud and wind potential) was far better over the lake, so I chose that.

I never did fly into OSH as airplane camping was closed every time I checked, FDL was my temporary Wisconsin home. It wasn't a booby prize either. It was quiet (slept like a rock on night #1) and several warbirds flew in and out just yards away from us... felt like a very private airshow. Finally, I shoved off at 5:40 AM Friday from FDL without the conga line. For me, it worked well. Photos below...

The coolest part flying out was the "FLY Chicago" route. My AA pilot pal turned me onto this route and I am glad he did. The view was absolutely amazing and the Chicago Center controller started a minute long conversation with me about the scenery, etc. What a country !

Clouds.jpg

FDL.jpg

FLY Chicago.jpg

Lake Flight.jpg

Good job, Andrew! And thanks for the photos.  It must have been kind of surreal to fly so near to the Chicago skyline. 

Edited by EB3
Misspelled "to" as "two" somehow. Me aren't dat stoopit.

Sorry we missed each other but glad you had such a great time.  I agree that my goal was to fly there and back without incident.   Hopefully I can get free for next year and do it again!  I'll check the board for next year and see if we can meet up.

Why not an FD fly-in next year?  It is a very central part of the country...  With the F2 announced/sold by next year, there should be a lot of fresh buzz around the company.  I'll speak with FD and see if they will sponsor something.  I didn't see any FD's in FDL, did you see any at OSH?  

I'd absolutely do that!  I saw 1 other for sale around the ultralight area but that was it.

The numbers may be too small.  I could be wrong but I think there are something like 2000 sold worldwide and 300+ in the US.

Here in Tulsa there are maybe 20 within a 50 mile radius.

I'm really hoping the F4 gets done with the 915 iS

Your numbers are correct-ish.  We have 3 here nearby, including me, I will speak with the other two.  

I noted that the Kitfoxes (they even had a firepit) were all parked together near the UltraLight area, it would great if we could get in that area as well.  

My traditional GA plane friends can't believe we (the plane and me) made it to OSH and back so quickly.  The plane is gaining in cred around the airport.  When I arrived last year I was met with a lot of "what the ph___ is that?"  I think they are becoming believers now.  The CT is a real airplane doing what real airplanes do.  BTW, I could have made it non-stop.  The gas level was fine but I was running out of room in the pee bottle..; ) 

I went the same GSpeed out and back, however, I had more throttle out because I wanted to beat some lake weather starting around Cleveland.  On the way back, I brought the throttle back and burned under 4 gals/hour.  I stopped in Western NY to rest and fuel up just in case.  You can see the blip in the line in the FlightAware graph above... I put 18 gallons in the plane.