Upgrading radio to a Navcom

Ben2k9

I’m interested in replacing my radio with a Navcom Unit Garmin SL30 in order to be able to use my CTLS for getting the instrument rating. Has anyone done this before and is there anything to look out for or any potential problems with this idea?

I have spoken to a DPE about it and it will do basically everything I need for the training and checkride. 

Just to spare any potential replies along this line, no the plane will not be used in IMC. 

I've had an instrument rating for about 18 years, which I got long before owning my CTLSi.  My plane does have the Garmin SL30, and the other pilot that I frequently fly with and I do often fly approaches in VMC.

I wouldn't see any issues using this configuration for getting experience in flying ILS, localizer, and VOR approaches.  While mostly a thing of the past, you could essentially do NDB approaches as well.  I don't believe there's anything that would prohibit your getting your instrument rating with just this equipment doing just these approaches.

That said, in the real world of instrument flying, my experience is that GPS approaches are a very prominent part of what you'd actually use, so while you'd be legal, you'll miss a critical part of what in my opinion you'd want to know and be proficient at.  I wouldn't fly in IMC without access to GPS approaches, for a multitude of reasons.

I think that the CTLS can be configured with a Garmin 430...I saw that once advertised on the Flightdesign web site.  If that can be done, I think you'll have a great configuration to do a broader span of instrument training.

If you do go with the Garmin SL30, I've got some experience working out some of the things that I found a bit clunky at first.  I'm happy to go over all that with you, to spare you the time it took me to learn about it.

Either way, go for your instrument rating!  It will make you a better, safer pilot.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Yes I realize SL30 isn’t going to be ideal, but really just looking at it as a lost cost way to get the instrument rating. Forming a flying club that will have the CTLS and Cirrus SR22, and members will need instrument to fly the Cirrus, so I want to create a way to get there.  Once in the Cirrus, you’ve got all the top of the line avionics and can practice and hone the GPS approaches as needed to complete transition training. 

Garmin 430 would be nice but it wouldn’t fit in my panel as currently configured. 

Thanks for the offer to help with the SL30 - I will probably take you up on that when the time comes! 

Archived