3D Printed (FDM) Cabin Plugs

Skunkworks85

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Can you make the STL files available so I can print some?  

I suppose, These only work of the holes for the front aileron linkages, The others have a compound curved surface. As I mentioned, the Left and Right fit a bit differently, not sure if it is due to that variation in the hand layup of the AC.

I am working on the spar bolt holes next (front and rear) then the fuel sight gauges.

49 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Stinker,

The compound curves beg for an additive manufacturing process. You just need to invest in some fancy digitizing equipment.

The part you made is beautiful anyway.

Mike Koerner

The beauty of rapid prototyping is the quick iteration time of models, I do have a digitizer, in the form of laser scanning. It is not a fool proof method though, and still requires a development time.

The challenge of a 3 axis printer is how to design a model that meets criteria of the project and is within the capability of the machine making the model. That is the challenge I enjoy.

I can do the set for $60 plus shipping. Maybe send a set to first verify fitment, as I question the variation of air frames due to large amount of manual lay-up work in these planes. I will print up a set, Possibly send a set to Andy A (First to respond) so we can get some feed back on fitment/quality.

A wise man once said:

image.thumb.png.ee6d905ef02529a3d6426836277fc9e3.png

Yes, Clear tape is just a functional, But I do not prefer the unfinished/hillbilly solution.

These Plugs do pop out with a little grab handle very easily for inspection. I do not see a need to have instant sight of the linkagages.

I am working on a plug for the sight gauges with an epoxied in clear window.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures but will next time I get a chance.  The plugs fit well.  They are extremely lightweight, probably less than an ounce for the pair.  I was kind of surprised how light they were.  Its not a bad thing, just an observation.   Honestly, they aren't a real game changer for me, but they do give the plane a more finished look.  I also think the price was outrageous, but it was cheaper than buying a 3D printer and making them for myself.  All in all, if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I think you'll be satisfied.  If you think they are too expensive, just put a piece of clear tape over the hole.  The net outcome will be the same.

Actually, they are dirt cheap with respect to the amount of development hours invested divided by the number sold... in fact, the project is in reality a labor of love. 

R&D is hugely expensive.  My hat's off to you Skunk for creating/making them.  I am waiting to see what they look like installed.  I will buy a pair too if they are what I think they are.