Skunkworks85

3D Printed (FDM) Cabin Plugs

I mentioned in another post of FDM plugs for the holes in the cabin, Example Shown:image.thumb.png.a6b9a07fe25536410d2aa20ea1637dc6.pngimage.png.51e63026b860f840496257500b54e6b2.png

Installed, they have a foam ring around the lip to seal out the drafts.

IMG_20190313_181104670.thumb.jpg.acea709a0457c670059bb9c48c151bc6.jpg

IMG_20190313_181109646.thumb.jpg.7f826c240cae7859aa35ea6e56f0e90d.jpg

Working on a set for the spar bolts, then I plan on making a set with lexan windows door the sight gauges.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Can you make the STL files available so I can print some?  

I suppose, These only work of the holes for the front aileron linkages, The others have a compound curved surface. As I mentioned, the Left and Right fit a bit differently, not sure if it is due to that variation in the hand layup of the AC.

I am working on the spar bolt holes next (front and rear) then the fuel sight gauges.

Stinker,

The compound curves beg for an additive manufacturing process. You just need to invest in some fancy digitizing equipment.

The part you made is beautiful anyway.

Mike Koerner

49 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Stinker,

The compound curves beg for an additive manufacturing process. You just need to invest in some fancy digitizing equipment.

The part you made is beautiful anyway.

Mike Koerner

The beauty of rapid prototyping is the quick iteration time of models, I do have a digitizer, in the form of laser scanning. It is not a fool proof method though, and still requires a development time.

The challenge of a 3 axis printer is how to design a model that meets criteria of the project and is within the capability of the machine making the model. That is the challenge I enjoy.

Any chance you would be willing to make a set for me?  I'll gladly pay for you services.

4 hours ago, Andy A said:

Any chance you would be willing to make a set for me?  I'll gladly pay for you services.

Sure thing, Just to be clear, all I have designed at the moment are the 2 forward linkage plugs.

Using my STL file, I did some online quotes for a 3rd party to print the plugs, that averaged $80-$120 for a set,  at a 0.10mm resolution (same resolution I print at) Printed in PETG material.

What would you consider a fair price on a set?  

I can do the set for $60 plus shipping. Maybe send a set to first verify fitment, as I question the variation of air frames due to large amount of manual lay-up work in these planes. I will print up a set, Possibly send a set to Andy A (First to respond) so we can get some feed back on fitment/quality.

Just a personal preference for me:

I have preferred clear tape because I can still see behind it for fuel or the aileron control rod. I can use clear tape over the fuel site tube area.

A wise man once said:

image.thumb.png.ee6d905ef02529a3d6426836277fc9e3.png

Yes, Clear tape is just a functional, But I do not prefer the unfinished/hillbilly solution.

These Plugs do pop out with a little grab handle very easily for inspection. I do not see a need to have instant sight of the linkagages.

I am working on a plug for the sight gauges with an epoxied in clear window.