Jump to content
Skunkworks85

3D Printed (FDM) Cabin Plugs

Recommended Posts

I would like s pair of the clear fuel covers as well. PM or email me on how you want me to pay. Aparsons07@gmail.com.

Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, WmInce said:

Not at that price.

I find that kinda’ outrageous.

I do understand your sentiment, but please for a moment, consider that I am not making these for a profit and these plugs are without a doubt, the only ones that do exist for their intended purpose.

I have put this reply off because I had ZERO intention of ever selling these. In fact, I did make the file available for anyone to print. 

As I said previously, I prefer to have a finished, more professional cabin. If you want to slap packing tape all over your $70k-$150k airplane by all means, go ahead.  In my personal opinion, that is super tacky(no pun intended). 

For what it's worth;

I do consider my time valuable. If you consider that each one of these plugs takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to make, and I have over 20 personal hours prototyping/ test fitting/ redesigning these plugs,  I don't give a shit about what you think is outrageous. I don't understand how anyone of a certain age can justify saying they are outrageous. Please keep your opinions to yourself. 

 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, AGLyme said:

Actually, they are dirt cheap with respect to the amount of development hours invested divided by the number sold... in fact, the project is in reality a labor of love. 

R&D is hugely expensive.  My hat's off to you Skunk for creating/making them.  I am waiting to see what they look like installed.  I will buy a pair too if they are what I think they are.

Thank you for understanding, I am really hesitant to ever post anything on forums due to the trolls. I am of the younger generation when forums were a new thing. All the keyboard cowboys that "know" everything have been a real turn off for me. 

I really appreciate your understanding.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aaronp07 said:

I would like s pair of the clear fuel covers as well. PM or email me on how you want me to pay. Aparsons07@gmail.com.

Aaron

Aaronp07,

These do not exist yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m happy you posted about your project, and I’m looking forward to getting mine. 

Wait until he sees the price for a new set of seatbelts I’ve found. But that’s for a later post...

Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, KentWien said:

I’m happy you posted about your project, and I’m looking forward to getting mine. 

Wait until he sees the price for a new set of seatbelts I’ve found. But that’s for a later post...

Kent

They will be in the mail tomorrow. BTW, I aspire to make a landing video one day like yours. If this is in fact you. That is some real talent!

image.thumb.png.389e7acb619897e580e475ff74e99a7c.png

 

BTW, this video was one of the reasons I went with a CTSW.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, AGLyme said:

Actually, they are dirt cheap with respect to the amount of development hours invested divided by the number sold... in fact, the project is in reality a labor of love. 

R&D is hugely expensive.  My hat's off to you Skunk for creating/making them.  I am waiting to see what they look like installed.  I will buy a pair too if they are what I think they are.

I also suspect he is using a 3D printer that is quite a bit more expensive than your typical hobby unit. The parts quality from some of the less expensive printers is not impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

 

They will be in the mail tomorrow. BTW, I aspire to make a landing video one day like yours. 

 

image.thumb.png.389e7acb619897e580e475ff74e99a7c.png

The sad part is, that was the first time I flew a CT as I had to get 2 hours of time in it solo for insurance purposes. Five years later, I bought the plane from my friend Russell Croman and have now flown it for 200 hours and I still can’t land it as well as I did that day! Glad he got proof in the form of video.

Kent

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kent is being all humble... I took a vid of him landing at Woodstock (CT... home of Flight Design USA)... recently... The Woodstock runway is 2,200' long and it is exposed on a hill, which is code for these parts as having squirrely winds. His approach and landing were perfect !  I hope he puts the vid up for people to see on Youtube...   I don't know how to do it nor do I have a Youtube page. 

Kent is a great guy and a pilots' pilot... he inspired me to tackle a couple of next frontiers in the plane.  The first was a solo exit out of a Class D airport.  The tower didn't ask me to call them, so I guess I did ok...  The second was just yesterday... a solo landing on a short runway (Goodspeed Airport along the CT river @ 2,100 feet) with 30 degrees flaps... felt great !  Had tons of room to spare, felt like I could land in a parking lot with this new found skill.  The 30 degrees flaps option is unbelievably helpful in short runway situations. 

PS... a great coffee shop is within walking distance of the airport... so here is the proof (below) that I made it...  Finally, I was invited to fly with a group of planes to First Flight in N. Carolina... in about 6 weeks.  I don't think I'm ready to do it myself.  Need some Flight Following practice, etc.  Plan would be to fly over the NYC Class B space... we'll see.

Goodspeed.thumb.jpg.3d02e64ada924c1cd7f0631e36955dbb.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bird, Andrew!

i got to play with the triple HDX displays on Andrews airplane when he gave me a ride back home and I just have to say... WOW!

I was surprised at how crisp everything looked and just how intuitive the Dynon setup was. Such a nice flying plane, too!

Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 1:54 AM, Skunkworks85 said:

I do understand your sentiment, but please for a moment, consider that I am not making these for a profit and these plugs are without a doubt, the only ones that do exist for their intended purpose.

I have put this reply off because I had ZERO intention of ever selling these. In fact, I did make the file available for anyone to print. 

As I said previously, I prefer to have a finished, more professional cabin. If you want to slap packing tape all over your $70k-$150k airplane by all means, go ahead.  In my personal opinion, that is super tacky(no pun intended). 

For what it's worth;

I do consider my time valuable. If you consider that each one of these plugs takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to make, and I have over 20 personal hours prototyping/ test fitting/ redesigning these plugs,  I don't give a shit about what you think is outrageous. I don't understand how anyone of a certain age can justify saying they are outrageous. Please keep your opinions to yourself. 

 

Thank you for understanding, I am really hesitant to ever post anything on forums due to the trolls. I am of the younger generation when forums were a new thing. All the keyboard cowboys that "know" everything have been a real turn off for me. 

I really appreciate your understanding.

 

Well I finally got to the hangar and fitted the plugs.

Perfect, nice job. I was concerned they may not fit my  CTLSi.

Thanks.

Now how about a set to fit the backs of the wing spar bolts next to them ...................

 

 

08929819-CD17-4730-A6B4-999C34B0EC50.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 8:54 PM, Skunkworks85 said:

I do understand your sentiment, but please for a moment, consider that I am not making these for a profit and these plugs are without a doubt, the only ones that do exist for their intended purpose.

I have put this reply off because I had ZERO intention of ever selling these. In fact, I did make the file available for anyone to print. 

As I said previously, I prefer to have a finished, more professional cabin. If you want to slap packing tape all over your $70k-$150k airplane by all means, go ahead.  In my personal opinion, that is super tacky(no pun intended). 

For what it's worth;

I do consider my time valuable. If you consider that each one of these plugs takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to make, and I have over 20 personal hours prototyping/ test fitting/ redesigning these plugs,  I don't give a shit about what you think is outrageous. I don't understand how anyone of a certain age can justify saying they are outrageous. Please keep your opinions to yourself. 

 

Thank you for understanding, I am really hesitant to ever post anything on forums due to the trolls. I am of the younger generation when forums were a new thing. All the keyboard cowboys that "know" everything have been a real turn off for me. 

I really appreciate your understanding.

 

Thank you so very much for sharing your honest thoughts. You are representing many pilots on this form, who do not post because of the few insensitive know it all who seem to post just so they may earn another star ️ by their name. There are many great knowledgeable pilots here that take much of their valuable time to help others. To those helping, many of us say thank you.

Have you ever noticed how many here can not respond to another person or their opinion without some sort of negative input?  Who wins an argument? The person who stops arguing first. Not many argumentative people think this way. Go figure.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...