Get off the runway

Ed Cesnalis

That’s awful and definitely terrifying. 

Things happen - I was doing touch and goes with the CTLS, making radio calls, and after I landed and started to take off I look left and a huge military C-130 is touching down on the cross runway, I watched the plane take back off and stay in the pattern to come back around. 

I watched him close to make sure I was out of his way, and as I was leaving the C-130 came on the radio and finally said they had been making radio calls on the wrong frequency. 

The gentleman in the news report video (Dennis Lord) is incorrect.  Two aircraft are allowed on the runway at the same time.  For airports with control towers, the aircraft must remain 3000' feet apart during the day (for Category I aircraft like us), and for uncontrolled fields they must simply remain safe and "well clear".  However, if the two (or more) aircraft were flying in formation, the "well clear" mandate does not even apply.  

Learning points: 1. When landing into the sun, be extra careful. You may not see that airplane ahead of you. Those NORDO J3 Cubs love to fly at sunset and with calm winds they may be landing opposite you.

2. When you are the speedy one in the pattern, give the slow pokes a wide margin.  They will likely stop short, like Frank Costanza.

"Get off the runway" is good advice, but the fault in that video clearly rests with the second pilot in the T-28.  Lower/slower airplane has right of way, especially if on the ground vs. landing.  If he was paying attention he must have known there was an airplane ahead of him landing, and he should not have assumed the first airplane was off the runway when he lost sight of it under the nose of his airplane as he got lower.  He shouldn't  have landed unless he heard a "clear of runway" radio call or could visually confirm the first airplane on the taxiway. Even the second is risky because there could be two airplanes of the same/similar type in operation at the airport.

I don't think he even saw the Cessna guy in the first place - if he did know about the other plane then what he did was clearly reckless and bordering on criminal...  but I think it was some kind of communication breakdown. 

The way I see on other forums so much hostility from pilots even to just suggestions that everyone needs to use comms , it is no wonder stuff like that happens.

Archived