Play in Aileron

Hi,

Had my permit inspection on my CTSW, no major issues found. 

The inspector did point out that there's a little bit of play in the ailerons, if you move the control surface you can feel (and hear) some slack in the control system. Not a lot, approx 3mm of up/down movement at the training edge of the surface. 

Is this normal, or have I got a loose joint somewhere?

Thanks. 

A tad of up and down free play in flaps is normal.

As far as the ailerons those usually are fairly solid. You need to check the plastic bearings where the ailerons and flaps are connected to the metal horn (bracket). Grab the aileron or flap and put the other hand on the metal horn (bracket) and push one hand towards the other and then pull away. Kind of like a scissor action. Look very close at the the plastic bearing mounted in the metal bracket. If you see the black bearing moving slightly side to side then the screw and bearing need to come out and the bearing glued back in place with Loctite 480 (black toughened superglue). This is easy to do and just takes 15 minutes.

p.s.

When looking at the bearing while trying to move it left and right you may see the inner brown part of the bearing move the tiniest bit and this is normal. You just don't want to see the black outer part of the bearing moving left and right in its mount.

Archived