T Coupler

CT2K

Just purchased an AvMAp Ultra EFIS. User and installation manual says "Installation ... is supported by mean of a T coupler (not included in the Ultra box)". Any place you would kindly recommend to get this T Coupler, please?

Here is a picture of the installation diagram:

Installation.thumb.png.646e7474d26cbf16e6f3c6bbc0cc526e.png

Thank you so much guys for stopping by and contributing.

That video was really very helpful. Again thanks.

Now please forgive this stupid question: Apart from the airspeed pitoI don't see any static port stretching out of my CT. I wonder where should the static connection on the Avmap (see picture) should go?

I think the static port on my CTSW is in the very bottom of the fuselage, you can see the plastic pipe through the hatch on the floor under your feet on the P1 side of the aircraft. 

You must have a static line? There are two pressure feeds going to your ASI and/or EFIS? (An airspeed instrument is effectively showing the pressure difference between the dynamic pressure from the pitot and the static pressure). 

Sorry for the delay. Any pictures would be very useful because I can’t find the static port on my CT.

Today I went to the hangar, unscrewed the instrument panel and looked behind to discover that the altimeter is not connected to anything and didn’t find’ anything that looks lîke a static port. Please help with some pictures of your statics.

here is my installation. I had no static port when I got the plane new in 2005. It was sent to me later.

It goes form the port to the altimeter and the ASI.

I had to chnage the port orientation many time to find the best 'orientation'  ( precision)

CT static_01.JPG

CT static_02.JPG

some discussion few ago

The picture above is like all the other CT's. Jacques, yours looks like it is sideways in the picture? We had this discussion back in 2007 and FD said it was to face forward.

The dam (raised side) on that port is supposed to face forward. Any other direction affects the readings. Most that I have ever seen all face forward.

1 hour ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

That's not good, does it work? :shoot_me-1022:

interestingly the altimeter has always worked fine since I got the plane 3 years ago, and still does although not connected to anything. The same goes for the Vario (vertical speed indicator): it is not connected to anything and works just fine.

@Jacques: Bonjour Mr Jacques. Long time no hear. Nice to see your comment and thanks for the pics, it’s only now that I SEEL what à static port looks like on the CT. Well, I don’t seem to have this port.

Yes, it is sideways. First, I installed it forward....reading way too fast,, so tried different orientation and this one was the closest to reality but still reading a bit too fast.  Maybe , it is the location, mine is below the left floor  compartment.  [ As per instruction if I recall well ] . Some years later, a new maintenance manual came out ( Nov 2008)  and it says ', ''between the main gear legs ''  .  ' Might' play with it next summer..

1 hour ago, CT2K said:

interestingly the altimeter has always worked fine since I got the plane 3 years ago, and still does although not connected to anything. The same goes for the Vario (vertical speed indicator): it is not connected to anything and works just fine.

@Jacques: Bonjour Mr Jacques. Long time no hear. Nice to see your comment and thanks for the pics, it’s only now that I SEEL what à static port looks like on the CT. Well, I don’t seem to have this port.

The altimeter will work fine to an extent. Due to the shape of the fuselage and how the air flows around it the pressure in the cabin is likely less than static pressure. That is the reason for the external static source. FD should have done flight testing with test equipment to dtermine the location for the port in a nuetral pressure area. Your altimeter in flight likely indicates an altitude that is actually higher than you are.

CT2k,

As another data point, my CT2k, manufactured in 2004, has no external static port either. The static ports on my altimeter, airspeed indicator, EFIS and transponder mode c encoder are all open. They see cabin pressure.

Tom,

You may be right about the resulting static pressure being low. I have never noticed an altitude discrepancy, but I have always felt that my airspeed indicator, though seemingly accurate at low speeds, was a bit optimistic at high speed.

There are lots of cabin air leaks including through the firewall electrical wiring hole (which would probably be above static pressure, around the door (below), through the wing root (???), and through the window vent (below if closed, above if open). But the biggest leak of all is undoubtedly the hole in the back of the fuselage, which is certainly below static pressure.

I should do some tests to determine the significance of this design; recording indicated altitude as a function of speed while maintaining constant GPS altitude and recording indicated airspeed vs. GPS ground speed with varying speed at a constant heading and altitude. And if the discrepancies are significant, I should do as Jacques has done and add a proper external static port. It would certainly make my bi-annual transponder calibration more straightforward.

Mike Koerner

Mike,

All the air leaks would tend to equalize pressure. Often when an airplane has an alternate static source, the procedure for use is to open the vents, and even maybe turn on the heat to help equalize pressure. The reason air flows into the cabin is because the pressure outside the cabin is greater High pressure flows to low pressure. If this is enough to bring the pressure to a static level I don't know, but for most airplanes it is not.

8 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

As another data point, my CT2k, manufactured in 2004, has no external static port either. The static ports on my altimeter, airspeed indicator, EFIS and transponder mode c encoder are all open. They see cabin pressure.

Mike,

Many thanks for your input.

Given my CT2K is similar to yours in that way, I will install my AvMap Ultra EFIS without connection to a static since there is none, I will just leave that entry open.

Is your EFIS behaving properly and giving you satisfaction despite the absence of a static port?

Archived