BSR chute repack

gja533

I recently hade it done, and have some information that I think might help you.  I can be reached at 314 409-8932.

BTW, my daughter did her student teaching in Loveland (Mason Schold) when she went to Miami of Ohio.  Great community.

Andy Bresler

It is a requirement. It is very easy to remove and install. If you have a mechanic you can call me and I'll tell you how to do it. It takes about 15-20 minutes and it goes back in the same way. Is this the 12 year chute and rocket re-pack?

Anybody can remove this with just a Philips screwdriver, a 1/8" Allan wrench and a 7/16" socket. Maybe a pair of wire cutters if a plastic wire tie is in the way.

13 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

It is a requirement. It is very easy to remove and install. If you have a mechanic you can call me and I'll tell you how to do it. It takes about 15-20 minutes and it goes back in the same way. Is this the 12 year chute and rocket re-pack?

Anybody can remove this with just a Philips screwdriver, a 3mm Allan wrench and a 7/16" socket. Maybe a pair of wire cutters if a plastic wire tie is in the way.

Wait until you do a CTLSi. No longer a 15-20 minute job.

The proper size for the cable screw is 1/8". To remove the pickup collar takes a 1/4" wrench or socket, I actually use my screw driver that accepts 1/4" bits. Also a 5/32" Allen for the 3 screws that attach the rocket. A 3/4" wrench for the link where the straps attach, and the cable to the cone.

Like Roger said it is not a hard job to remove and install. Rocket assembly is not hard, but you need to be able to follow instructions. The airplane can be flown to and from a maintenance facility for the service if you follow Flight Designs procedures for operating the aircraft with the chute not installed. Ideally if you can have it done at your home airport would be best. I'm not sure, but it might be worth the cost to call BRS and have them send you a shipping box. DO NOT SHIP THE ROCKET!!

Thanks everyone for your help.  Roger, my mechanic and I will be contacting you in the next couple of weeks for your help and instruction.    Annual is due in may so it will be in that time frame.  Thanks again to all for your ideas and help.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, Roger Lee said:

Anybody can remove this with just a Philips screwdriver, a 1/8" Allan wrench and a 7/16" socket. Maybe a pair of wire cutters if a plastic wire tie is in the way.

For Roger and Tom, a 15-20 minute job. For most of us, a little longer. But, it is easy. A seven year old kid with the rickets could probably do it.

19 minutes ago, sandpiper said:

For Roger and Tom, a 15-20 minute job. For most of us, a little longer. But, it is easy. A seven year old kid with the rickets could probably do it.

I wouldn't call it a 15-20 minute job. My normal charge for removal, packing, shipping (30 minute round trip to UPS), rocket assembly, and installation is 3 hours labor plus actual shipping cost. I always have a helper when removing and installing. I'm not strong enough to do it by myself.

6 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I wouldn't call it a 15-20 minute job. My normal charge for removal, packing, shipping (30 minute round trip to UPS), rocket assembly, and installation is 3 hours labor plus actual shipping cost. I always have a helper when removing and installing. I'm not strong enough to do it by myself.

It's been six years since I last did mine and I forgot that I, too, needed help. Technically it is easy but requires someone stronger (and maybe younger) than me to make it a one person operation.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Just purchased a 2012 CTLSi and the chute is do for the repack (rocket is still good). Are most of you still doing the chute/rocket at the same time or should I just do the chute? Approx cost?

You only do the rocket at 12 years, so every two repack cycles.  You should not need to do the rocket on a 2012 airplane.  Repack only.

4 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Just purchased a 2012 CTLSi and the chute is do for the repack (rocket is still good). Are most of you still doing the chute/rocket at the same time or should I just do the chute? Approx cost?

With rocket replacement, Matches price shown on BRS website, Check website for current chute only repack cost.

image.png.997c9e55ea960bef2b6c99b678a970a4.png

11 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Did you buy the 2012 CTLSi from Jay up in  Northern California? I went and saw that plane a few weeks back, beautiful!

***CORRECTION- bad advice disregard - dislike ;) ****

ALSO: chute is not considered minimum required equipment. So you can fly it legally, no problem.

****end of bad advice****

Edited by Andrew Lane
I was wrong

33 minutes ago, Andrew Lane said:

Did you buy the 2012 CTLSi from Jay up in Northern California? I went and saw that plane a few weeks back, beautiful!

ALSO: chute is not considered minimum required equipment. So you can fly it legally, no problem.

Andrew, yes I did. I fly it back in 9 days, super excited! Trying to stock up now on parts I will need. Just had FD mail me out the Seatbelt and Harness reinforcement parts so I can knock out that SB right away. I had a PPI done and was told will need to install pads when I get the plane back to Ohio. What pads should I get?

1 hour ago, Andrew Lane said:

Did you buy the 2012 CTLSi from Jay up in Northern California? I went and saw that plane a few weeks back, beautiful!

I was told by a few people since the plane was sold certified with the BRS Chute it IS a requirement, that's incorrect?

44 minutes ago, Andy A said:

Are you guys saying anybody can do the removal and reinstallation?  Or does it require an A&P?

Only if you have an ELSA.  If your airplane is an SLSA (says LIGHT SPORT on it), you have to pay an LSRM or A&P to do it. If you find a good one he or she will let you assist so you'll learn about it.

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

I was told by a few people since the plane was sold certified with the BRS Chute it IS a requirement, that's incorrect?

The BRS chute is required. I think you can only fly without the chute on the return flight from wherever you have it removed, and then again back to the facility to have it reinstalled when the repack, etc from BRS has been received.

5 hours ago, Andrew Lane said:

On my plane, a 2007 CTSW, the BRS is listed on the equipment list. My opinion is that if your BRS is out of date, then the plane is grounded except as I mention above. However, I will defer to  Roger or Tom. If it is grounded, maybe you can get authorization for this relocation flight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the 12th year for my bird so both repack and new rocket required. Even though I read the above invoice two months ago outlining that  $2675 cost, it was still a shocker. Add my shipping from this end of $130 and total comes to $2805.

Six years ago the price for repack only, including shipping both ways, was less than $1500. Wish my retirement was going up like this has!

I guess the alternative is going E-LSA but even then I'm pretty sure I would keep the system operational. It's kind of like the fire department. You never need them until you do. Might be never, might be tomorrow.

Time to stop feeling sorry for myself and go have a beer!🎯

Just had the repack done. All things considered I didn’t think my parachute repack cost was that bad.  I haven’t done the rocket but even that seems ok.  So 12 years cost is about $5k.  (2 repacks and a rocket plus some labor). Every time I think of going to a used cirrus I think of the $20k that chute costs every 10 years.  So all in all feels better.  Of course its optional to buy a plane with a parachute.   I guess I don’t mind the $450 a year reserve as a kind of safety insurance.  Not saying less wouldn’t be better....