BSR chute repack

gja533

There’s a reason the BRS system has been insanely reliable.  I don’t think there has been a single BRS deployment made within the acceptable envelope that resulted in a fatality, and several deployments outside the envelope have saved lives.

The cost of that reliability is maintenance.  Yes it’s expensive, just like the Rotax rubber change.  And you should do it for the same reason, IMO.  But everyone can make their own risk tolerance decisions.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

There’s a reason the BRS system has been insanely reliable.  I don’t think there has been a single BRS deployment made within the acceptable envelope that resulted in a fatality, and several deployments outside the envelope have saved lives.

The cost of that reliability is maintenance.  Yes it’s expensive, just like the Rotax rubber change.  And you should do it for the same reason, IMO.  But everyone can make their own risk tolerance decisions.

There was one fatal with a CT in Europe, and it caused a SB to be issued for corrective action. There was another where they tried to deploy and it didn't. They subsequently made an emergency landing. This was cause for a different SB to be issued. These were on CT's, I don't know about any other aircraft. 

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

There was one fatal with a CT in Europe, and it caused a SB to be issued for corrective action. There was another where they tried to deploy and it didn't. They subsequently made an emergency landing. This was cause for a different SB to be issued. These were on CT's, I don't know about any other aircraft. 

IIRC these were installation problems, and not issues with the system itself.

11 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

IIRC these were installation problems, and not issues with the system itself.

One was the cable routed over the end of the rocket, causing it to tumble and wrap around the aircraft. The handle was a BRS assembly issue. There was a recent SB from BRS, but it only effected a few systems that had been repacked with rockets. There was a design or tolerance problem with some of the parts that could cause the rocket not to seat properly. I had 2 systems that this applied to. Both measured out of tolerance, but with further inspection both were determined to be okay as they were.