Jump to content
gja533

BSR chute repack

Recommended Posts

There’s a reason the BRS system has been insanely reliable.  I don’t think there has been a single BRS deployment made within the acceptable envelope that resulted in a fatality, and several deployments outside the envelope have saved lives.

The cost of that reliability is maintenance.  Yes it’s expensive, just like the Rotax rubber change.  And you should do it for the same reason, IMO.  But everyone can make their own risk tolerance decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

There’s a reason the BRS system has been insanely reliable.  I don’t think there has been a single BRS deployment made within the acceptable envelope that resulted in a fatality, and several deployments outside the envelope have saved lives.

The cost of that reliability is maintenance.  Yes it’s expensive, just like the Rotax rubber change.  And you should do it for the same reason, IMO.  But everyone can make their own risk tolerance decisions.

There was one fatal with a CT in Europe, and it caused a SB to be issued for corrective action. There was another where they tried to deploy and it didn't. They subsequently made an emergency landing. This was cause for a different SB to be issued. These were on CT's, I don't know about any other aircraft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

There was one fatal with a CT in Europe, and it caused a SB to be issued for corrective action. There was another where they tried to deploy and it didn't. They subsequently made an emergency landing. This was cause for a different SB to be issued. These were on CT's, I don't know about any other aircraft. 

IIRC these were installation problems, and not issues with the system itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

IIRC these were installation problems, and not issues with the system itself.

One was the cable routed over the end of the rocket, causing it to tumble and wrap around the aircraft. The handle was a BRS assembly issue. There was a recent SB from BRS, but it only effected a few systems that had been repacked with rockets. There was a design or tolerance problem with some of the parts that could cause the rocket not to seat properly. I had 2 systems that this applied to. Both measured out of tolerance, but with further inspection both were determined to be okay as they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WmInce said:

I view the BRS as part of my life insurance coverage.

Hahaha ... that’s pretty much sums it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My German CT instructor called the BRS handle the "Ownership Transfer Handle."  In his words:  "Once you pull that handle, the insurance company owns the airplane."   😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...