CTLS with Skyview, 696, GTX 330 and SL30 vs GTR225

Blueyonder

Hi everyone.

I would like some opinions on the the above setups and which may be more flexible and reliable?

Is SL30 capable, or better, to have than a 225 for flights where you may be able to have more flexibility in using it for approaches,  with a Skyview 10 in., and the 696, not legally of course, just as a backup.

I know that the 225 is only capable of Com functions, but does the rest of the set up allow for anything more with the SL30?

Which of the 2 setups are easier to upgrade to 2020?

What would the cost be for a 2020 upgrade for each?

Thanks.

That's a big topic. Modifying the Skyview for ADS-B in/out is probably the cheapest. I think the 696 will do GPS approaches to the final approach fix, but I've never tried it.  The SL30 will only add VOR capability, so far as I know. The 225 is just a radio, the alternative might be a GTX 335 w/waas for your ADS-B out solution and maybe the Skyview (uAvionix) in solution. Also Skyview can have GPS capability, but I don't know if they do IFR approaches.

For my plane with the old D100 EFIS it's going to be GTX 335 for 'out' and GDL 39 for 'in'. Traffic and weather will be on the 696.