Engine noise in headset when mic is keyed

markmn

This is on my P2008. It did not do this when I first got it. Then one day when I keyed the mic... whoa, what is that? Very loud and annoying. I adjusted the side tone down and that lowered the noise volume in my headset but did not fix anything. It also seems like I hear more of a whine when decending with no power dring landings. Maybe always was that way? The guy that did the avionics has no idea other than the sidetone setting in the SL30. I know he put some noise suppressors in the harness but he was sure this was not the problem said they would not quit working. The plane has an 40 amp external alternator. Any Ideas?

What noise do you ct owners get thru your headsets? What is resonable?

Mark

If something changed suddenly Then sounds like something came loose or got disconnected. Does the noise seem to correspond to engine rpm, meaning it changes with changes in rpm? That may indicated something loose on that external alternator. I would start with looking for loose wires especially loose grounds.

You might check a few other settings. The Nav/Com mixing level, the RF signal level and the squelch levels. Maybe the squelch on the pax headset is breaking? I had similar symptoms from the RF signal level settin in the SL30 because near the runway at my home drome there is a lot of RF noise around. When I left that area it was OK, but the noise showed up on approach.

WF

FWIW I usually put the co-pilot headset on the seat when solo. Yesterday I stowed it on the hat rack behind the seat. After take-off I noticed a loud static in my Bose. Confirmed I had a working radio. Tried all the usual trouble shooting steps without success. And then I reached for the other headset. Viola! The static stopped.

Archived