TBO

CTSleepy

Hi everyone,

I have a Rotax ULS 2 Serial 5.646.995. I think this is a 1500 TBO engine correct? Or is it a 2000 TBO engine?

Also, I'm reading SB-912-041. Am I suppose to overhaul this at 1500 hours OR 12 years? Whichever comes first? If so, ouch. Just trying to understand the SB.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, CTSleepy said:

Hi everyone,

I have a Rotax ULS 2 Serial 5.646.995. I think this is a 1500 TBO engine correct?

Thank you.

Your engine has  a TBO of  '' 1500 hrs or  12 years which ever come first  ''.

Luckily, it has the 2000 hrs crankcase..according to 3.4.1   in

https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-057-ul.pdf

As Andy wrote, do the '' oil pump plug screw '' change. [ 3.4.2 ]

Being a 2006, your engine will reach the 'new' 15 years TBO in 2 years

But, [ in USA , I think ] you can go on condition

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Most (all?) of the 1500hr TBO engines can be converted to 2000hr TBO by changing the valve in the Oil Pressure Regulator.  IIRC it goes from a ball-bearing valve seat to a mushroom shaped seat.  I did it, it takes about ten minutes.  

The only ones that can change are the ones built right about May - June of 2006 or later. The earlier 1500 hour engines can not go to 2000 TBO because they have a different crankcase. You could replace the crankcase, but that's cost prohibitive. You must look at the serial number if you're close to May - June of 2006.. If you do have an engine that was built right around  July 2006 or later then yes you qualify, but you not only have to change the oil pressure plug screw, but also the spring. This is spelled out in the literature. 

44 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

The only ones that can change are the ones built right about May - June of 2006 or later. The earlier 1500 hour engines can not go to 2000 TBO because they have a different crankcase. You could replace the crankcase, but that's cost prohibitive. You must look at the serial number if you're close to May - June of 2006.. If you do have an engine that was built right around  July 2006 or later then yes you qualify, but you not only have to change the oil pressure plug screw, but also the spring. This is spelled out in the literature. 

Thanks for the clarification.  My engine fell in the upgradable range, but I wasn't sure how many do.  I knew there is a crankcase difference, but didn't know the details.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had replies on here! Thanks Andy, Roger, and Jacques. I was doing some reading on this and it does seem like I can go on condition. Anyone know if this is correct? I turned on replies. Thank you all again.

Archived