retracing the route of 1919 transcontinental air race

John Lancaster

Hi all. Next month I'll be leaving on a flight from Long Island to California in my 2015 CTLSi (N288CT). The flight is part of my research for a book on the 1919 transcontinental air race that will be published (eventually) by Liveright/W.W. Norton. I'll follow the original route, which roughly tracks the Union Pacific railroad and I-80 and thus crosses some pretty high mountains. If you're a fan of aviation history, please check out my website (www.1919airrace.com),  which tells you a lot more about the project. Plane will be equipped with multiple cams. You can follow my journey on YouTube (@johnlancasterauthor), Facebook (@johnlancasterauthor), and Instagram when I get around to setting it up.  In the meantime, I'd love to hear from any of you who have completed a similar crossing in a light sport, especially through the western states. How did it go and do you have any special advice? Thanks!

Hi Eric. Which route did you choose through the Rockies and Sierras? I'll be following the original route--Cheyenne to Rawlins to Green River in WY, then Salt Lake City to Salduro in Utah, Battle Mountain, NV to Reno, and finally Sacramento to SF. This roughly tracks the original transcontinental (Union Pacific) railroad and I-80. Looks like the highest terrain--approaching 12k--is in the Sierras. See route map below. 

route map.jpeg

Hi John,

Many of my trips were to/from Southern CA, and AZ so many times ended up through the Albuquerque area or if weather pushed me it would be El Paso.  I have been through the passes South of Denver a few times and also across Reno and Mammoth on my way over to CA.  Prop pitch is important in the CT especially at the higher altitudes.  I have had my CTLS over 15,000 solo with near full fuel.  Its no rocket up there but you can get there if you prop is pitched well.  You might think about doing a few climbs to 13k to 14k before you head out just so you can see how your performance is up there.  As the West heats up in the late spring our Density altitudes can get pretty high so if you are not able to get adequate engine RPM (5600) at say 7500 to 8000' density altitude at full throttle level you might consider a prop re-pitch before heading out West :) 

Hi John - if you’re planning an alternative to the Chicago stop, I keep my CT at Elkhart, IN (KEKM) from mid May into September, and might be able to help with ground transport to hotel, auto gas, etc, depending on your timing. I-80 passes within about 1/2 mile of the airport, so it may be close to your planned route. If you’re looking for other alternatives to 100LL, KPPO carries Swift 94 unleaded and may also be very near your route. 

Hi John, thanks for your generous offer. Still working on my Chicago plans and will certainly keep KEKM in mind as a possible refueling or overnight stop. During the race in 1919 the pilots landed in Grant Park, which I gather is no longer an option. Thanks again!

Archived