I nosed over my CT - I think its totaled?

Ed Cesnalis

1 hour ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I have a lot of coverage but there is a lot of damage.

Skylight, nose gear,  and prop are wiped out.  Wings and tail are damaged and engine has prop strike.  Sound totaled?

Probably totaled. It will really depend on damage of the wing spars, and fuselage carry through structure.  

It will require an extensive inspection to determine the cost of repairs. Lots of factors, like motor mount, firewall, ect.. It might not cost as much as one might think to get it flyable again depending on the extent of the damage.

Are you willing to share what happened yet?

13 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Sorry to hear that Ed, but super glad you are okay.  

Was it really windy/gusty conditions?

Conditions were moderate, west with southerly gusts.  I had my controls positioned to counter the gusts and got gust by a big one from the north and couldn't recover.

Our crosswinds can get redirected by high terrain on the north side and sent back from the other direction with swirling action.

47 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Does the FAA even get involved for taxi incidents?  After all, you don't even have to be a pilot to taxi an airplane.

If it’s at a public airport, absolutely.

At private airports, I doubt it. After becoming airborne, that’s another thing.

Ed, BIG Bummer.  Just takes a totally unexpectedly strong gust and our little lightweights must go with the flow.  My take away is If it can happen to someone like you who's had hundreds of hours experience in these types of conditions, I don't see myself tempting fate by ever flying where you dare to go.  Glad your OK and hope you'll be back in the air soon.

20 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

Ed, BIG Bummer.  Just takes a totally unexpectedly strong gust and our little lightweights must go with the flow.  My take away is If it can happen to someone like you who's had hundreds of hours experience in these types of conditions, I don't see myself tempting fate by ever flying where you dare to go.  Glad your OK and hope you'll be back in the air soon.

There for the grace of God go I.

My friend just built his Rans 7 and last summer he got gas and walked into the FBO to pay and in the corner of his Eye saw his little dream plane flying. He thought someone had stole it. A dust devil had lifted her 30 feet in the air and down hard on its back. Totaled. 

6 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

My take away is If it can happen to someone like you who's had hundreds of hours experience in these types of conditions, I don't see myself tempting fate by ever flying where you dare to go

In this case Dick that would be the wrong take-away.  My take is its possible to get a bad result anywhere anytime. Stuff happens.

I still hope to see your smilin face here someday.

Yup, Buckaroo gives the perfect example.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I've often thought about making the trip out West.  Just such a long way especially when there's  the need to go over those "bumps" in the terrain that you take such beautiful pictures of.  My friend, Phil Wade, has gone to Page twice in his CTLS  N816W and has offered to go again with me.    

2 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Yup, Buckaroo gives the perfect example.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I've often thought about making the trip out West.  Just such a long way especially when there's  the need to go over those "bumps" in the terrain that you take such beautiful pictures of.  My friend, Phil Wade, has gone to Page twice in his CTLS  N816W and has offered to go again with me.    

Hope we can meet up there someday, Dick.

Our problem down this way is . . . hurricanes keep getting in the way.