The New F-Series Has Been Officially Announced

Arian

Again, purely from a business and plane value perspective, it is a very good move for them, and for all CT owners as the intro of the "F" firms up their commitment to the fleet.  Adding more safety features (anti spin, air bags, improved handling and IFR capability) is a smart vision for the Company. I may trade up to the 4 seater with the 915 in a few years, perhaps not as a true 4 passenger plane, but I can fly IFR, and put a couple of folding bikes in the back.  This plane is a solid model end point to my training and future mission needs.

The "modular" aspect of their plan is powerful.  Meaning, they have a singular airframe (built on an assembly line) and when the airframe comes into the finishing area the Customer chooses 4 seats or 2, 912i or 915i, IFR package or VFR and so on... which lowers manufacturing costs dramatically.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have plans to tap their China links for Carbon Fiber layup work which is VERY expensive (either robotic or hand layup).

Now if they can only work on the "looks" of the nose... it is a face only a mother could love...

7 hours ago, Warmi said:

Well, good luck to FD then - they had enough trouble staying afloat without getting into this expensive certification business but hey ... it is their investors money after all ...:-)

They were already in the type certification business before the financial problems. It was likely a factor in the problems, but not the only factor.

2 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Low wings are sexy looking and designing a hi wing that looks good is tough to do.  Flight Design did very well up until now.  The cartoonist lines of the molded composite CT worked well but are not surviving this evolution well at all.

I concur with you, Ed.

1 hour ago, iaw4 said:

will the F2 still be LSA in the US?  seems like a bigger airplane.

I wonder what the price per unit would be if 20 of us were to go buy F2s or F4s in one batch order... lack of volume is what keeps prices so high.

/iaw

If you can find 20 people on this forum that can afford to buy brand new F2/F4s, then I should probably leave because this company is too rich for me!  😁

I know.  I was just dreaming.  the Vans RV-12iS is about $100,000 and $150,000 assembled/built.  I wonder at what wholesale price dealers are receiving CTLSi's.  of course, they take quite a bit of risk and have to invest into showrooms, etc.

I am going to guess that a large aspect of the reasonable prices of cessna and pipers 50 years ago was that they could be mass-produced on assembly lines.  it had to be two for some competition.  it couldn't have been 100 to fragment the market into so many small vendors that none had great economies of scale.

I hope to be able to buy a used F2 in about 10 years.  The more new ones get sold, the better it is.

/iaw

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, Skunkworks85 said:

Ever notice the required placard saying, " Passenger Warning!!    this aircraft does not comply......" removal of that placard is what makes it $140k more than a CTLS

where can I buy a version *with* the placard for $100k less?

22 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Wait five years and buy a used one.  That's the best way to buy any depreciating asset...let somebody else pay the "it's new" premium.

The 06 / 07 models that are now dipping under $60k  started at under $100k.  When I consider the new prices I think the values have held pretty well.

28 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

The 06 / 07 models that are now dipping under $60k  started at under $100k.  When I consider the new prices I think the values have held pretty well.

They do hold well, but I bought my 2007 with 113 hours on it in 2013 for $68.5, which I'm sure was 30% or more less than new.

• 3 weeks later...

The F2 is looking like a great option, if certified.  The LSA thing has been a PITA from day one.  A 155 kt IFR bird with chute for $200K seems like a deal.  It's the same wing essentially as the CTSW, so it should fly the same.  I'm wondering if the F2 could land on the ultralight strip at Oshkosh.

3 hours ago, opticsguy said:

Finding light sport mechanics to do annuals and repairs.  Hell, finding people that will work on Rotax engines is hard enough.  Cessna 172 owners can change their oil without taking a 2 day class.

You don’t need a 2 day course to learn how to change the oil. Just see it done once. 

From my observations, most Flying Schools tie their planes down outside in all weathers. Many composite owners would not like this practice with their lease backs. So goes the desire for metal planes. Forget about finding a hanger within 50miles of me.

• 1 month later...