Replace my CTSW with a CTSW or a Globe Swift?

Ed Cesnalis

45 minutes ago, coppercity said:

I've got a few hours in the Swift, they are a bit sluggish with the 145hp but awesome with the 200-210 options!  They are pretty friendly on the ground but I've only flown them in fairly benign conditions.

200-210 for a Mammoth Guy.  Maybe 180hp.

I have a good friend who owns a large repair station in Charleston. He bought a swift with a 145 hp engine years ago. I always give him a hard time about "overhauled" engines (by who) and how it was maintained and I got a lot grief for my distrust. I flew with him one day and everything was great. The next time he flew the engine had a catastrophic failure over very dense forest. He saw a narrow logging road and made a successful landing except for a fence gate. Totaled the plane but walked away to the surprised logging crew that was there. Several months later after going through the fuselage he found a pilots logbook and in it he found a reference to a prop strike which was never put in the engine logs. My point is that it is nice to have a ballistic parachute on the CT. My friend was very lucky, it was the only logging road in the area. Roger is right these are old planes and most need a lot of work and Swift has few parts available. It would be great if the plane was totally restored but that would be $$$$$$. Good luck.

Archived