Too much oil a bad thing?

robthart

Our CTLS has multiple users, and over the years I've frequently noticed the oil level above the 'full' line when I go to fly. I know this is a result of a lack of, or improperly 'burping' the engine, and then adding oil when you think it's low and actually there's plenty there. I've mentioned that often it will continue to gurgle through several more prop turns when burping, but to no avail. My question; is this a non-event, or is it actually harmful to the engine to operate over the full line?

32 minutes ago, robthart said:

Our CTLS has multiple users, and over the years I've frequently noticed the oil level above the 'full' line when I go to fly. I know this is a result of a lack of, or improperly 'burping' the engine, and then adding oil when you think it's low and actually there's plenty there. I've mentioned that often it will continue to gurgle through several more prop turns when burping, but to no avail. My question; is this a non-event, or is it actually harmful to the engine to operate over the full line?

Suggest you apply a removable (transparent [clear], black letter, Brother P-touch) label to the outside of the oil service door of the cowling, as a reminder of sorts.

Over filling the tank, well above “dip stick full” marks, will eventually lead to a big mess on the belly, as others have attested.

Another thing is unless you have a very sick engine, even if the oil is not on the top of the flat on the dipstick you will not run out of oil on a flight.

A second thought is if they service the engine with all 3 liters of oil at a change it will likely put the oil over full on the dipstick, and it will stay that way for many hours of operation.

A third thought maybe you should not have oil available for everyone to add when they go flying. Probably the best solution. this way you can track real oil consumption.

I have used all 3 liters of oil for 20 years and never been over filled. You must burp the engine before you drain the oil (this is taught in class and on the videos) to get as much of the crankcase oil back to the tank. If you fail to do this then yes the system can get over filled because of the left over oil in the crankcase. Remember that the oil filter is empty and that will take some of the oil. We teach in all our classes to use all 3 liters which should only put it up to the top of the flat area. If you only use 3 quarts that usually puts you right around the half way mark on the stick. If you watch the video from Rotax Owner shown below it says approximately 3 liters. 

The flat area on the stick used to be lower, but Rotax was worried about some of the older oils foaming and then introducing air into the system. So they raised the level on the stick by 30% to make sure you were always only getting oil and no foam.

If you ever do over fill the tank can handle a little extra and is of no concern, but there is a point that too much will just cause it to come out the vent tube when the engine starts.

The difference in oil volume between the lowest flat part and the upper flat part of the stick is .95 pint.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/expanded-video-instructions/39-exp-si-27-010

Roger, I am Rotax trained, and know how to do an oil change. I know to burp the engine before draining the oil. Back when I was using oil packaged in quart bottles 3 bottles put it right at the top of the mark. With the liter bottles it is always slightly above the flat on the dipstick. Not enough to cause any issues, but above the flat none the less.

Hi Tom,

"Roger, I am Rotax trained, and know how to do an oil change."

I wasn't being derogatory about you just making a comment for some that may not know and that's why I posted the video link. It was more for the original poster.

Sorry if you took it wrong it wasn't my intention.

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

I wasn't being derogatory about you just making a comment for some that may not know and that's why I posted the video link. It was more for the original poster.

That’s the way I took it.

I always appreciate anything You AND Tom contribute.

“Thank you,” to both of you.

Archived