GTR 200 as SL40 replacement

iaw4

I have an SL40 installed.  It may just be seated incorrectly, or it may need repair.  alas, avionics shops labor is expensive, so I am wondering whether I may as well replace it with a newer GTR 200.  this makes sense only if this is a slide-in replacement, rather than a rewire.  has anyone done this?

found the answer on vans airforce:

No, because the GTR 200 is several inches shorter, doesn't plug into the same rack, and supports quite different wiring including stereo headsets and stereo music.

Yes, because it has a similar height, and especially if your SL40 is just being used as a COM radio, it would be quite easy to remove the SL40 and rack and move the wiring functions onto new pins on the GTR 200 connector. You would probably want to install stereo headphone jacks and wire those up instead of the mono jacks you were probably using with the SL40. They both use essentially the same serial interface, so even retaining the ability to remote tune the radio from an external system would still work if you just connect the wires to the right pins.

We are happy to get into as much detail as you like. Thank you for your interest.

Archived