ADS-B out 2020 best solution?

Blueyonder

6 minutes ago, Blueyonder said:

Hi everyone.

What do you recommend for the 2020 out / in for an acft. that has 2xSkyview 10in. and GTX 330 with existing moving map, it also has a 696 which may be irrelevant?

Least expensive / most efficient?

Best, if money is no object?

Thanks.

If money is no object I will simply upgrade my transponder to GARMIN GTX345 PANEL MOUNT ALL-IN-ONE ADS-B TRANSPONDER

The cheapest ADSB OUT would probably be GDL 82 which will work with your current transponder and will cost around $3000 with installation ( the other option , a new gtx 345 transponder would be twice as much )

One thing to keep in mind is that ADSB Out and In functionality are completely independent and can be installed separately and from different  vendors ( in your case for ADSB In it would probably make sense to get something from Dynon since you want to see that traffic on your sky view displays )

Why pay for certified type equipment when you fly an LSA? Check out the SkyguardTWX with AHARS for a complete in/out solution that cost much less that Garmin GDL82. I use it and it works just great. Garmin GDL is just OUT. IN gives you traffic and Wx. 

Hi Ben and everyone.

Thank you for the feedback.

Looking at the Skyguard I cannot find if it's SLSA approved by the FD? It does say LSA but I am not sure if SLSA is implied / included. FD has to give the LOA to get it installed?

Will it display the Traffic in the Skyview and or 696?

13 hours ago, Blueyonder said:

Hi Ben and everyone.

Thank you for the feedback.

Looking at the Skyguard I cannot find if it's SLSA approved by the FD? It does say LSA but I am not sure if SLSA is implied / included. FD has to give the LOA to get it installed?

Will it display the Traffic in the Skyview and or 696?

You get an MRA from FD. I assume it would display traffic and Wx on your panel devices but I have a different setup so you should investigate to confirm. I simultaneously upgraded to the iFly740b and I don’t have Dynon SkyView. 

I'm same as Ben2k9 with SkyGuard TWX transceiver (978 "out" with both 978 & 1090 "in"  with AHRS) coupled to IFly 740.  System works great.  IFly 740 has synthetic vision and is compatible with FD autopilot.  FD USA provides the MRA for "permanent"  installation into a CTSW or CTLS which insures the SkyGuard TWX is FAA approved for LSA for 2020.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, Runtoeat said:

FD USA provides the MRA for "permanent"  installation into a CTSW or CTLS which insures the SkyGuard TWX is FAA approved for LSA for 2020.

Hi.

I see that many pilots / owners describe the process as self installed, is that something that can be done in an SLSA or Experimental only?

I just bought a 2008 CTLS with a 696.

I'm working with the local service center to see if we can come up with an ADS-B in/out option that I can run through my existing avionics.

I'd rather not use an ipad or tablet.(I know, I'm weird)

I'll post when I hear back.

Hi Okent, OK let me know what you find out?

Was that the one from OKC Tom??/ that had damage history and sold to a dealer, from a lady in AZ that had it listed  for something around 50K and he bought it and listed it at $77K?

I was not comfortable with the repair on composite on the wing damage, from what I hear it cannot be done properly unless you replace the complete wing? There was another one that also had damage to the wing, it looks like that is very common with CTLSs.

I talked to Tom about this at length(It's confusing, Tom Sr and Tom Jr run Airtime Aviation and my name is Tom)  

From what I was told damage was to the landing gear from a short landing.  They had a FD authorized team  come in from Germany to fix the damage to their spec.  I went over the plane with Tom and also on a test flight and no issues so I bought the plane.

My only exposure to carbon fiber is from triathlon/road bicycles and I know they can be repaired.  I'm not an expert in carbon fiber or airplanes so I am going on their reputation.  They are local to me, KRVS, and everyone on the field has nothing but good to say about them.  The proximity to a dealer and a qualified service shop/mechanic is what led me to get a CTLS.

I saw the post from 2017 and it looks like similar damage (minus the wing) and the repair sounds very similar.

http://kestrelaviationservices.com/index.php/2017/08/24/fixin-to-fix-a-ctls/

Edit:  Blueyonder, it's the same one.  

Why did some coward anonymously  down-vote the above post?  Thank you for the valuable information okent.  For that CT to survive the ditch incident is amazing.  I wish this forum were more positive and supportive like the Vans and other forums...  Shame.  Who is the Moderator here anyway?

2 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Why did some coward anonymously  down-vote the above post?  Thank you for the valuable information okent.  For that CT to survive the ditch incident is amazing.  I wish this forum were more positive and supportive like the Vans and other forums...  Shame.  Who is the Moderator here anyway?

"Coward" is a strong term if you are trying to make the forum more positive...you could just ask why the downvote occurred. 

Van's forum is about the most judgmental forum in Aviation, which matches most RV owners I have met.  Be careful what you wish for.

No worries, I figure if I say something out of line or wrong that a member/moderator will just say so, otherwise I dont care. 

I'm new to the airframe and flying, only about 35+ hours in a DA20 and 10 in a 172.  I dont have much to run on except what I read and am told.  If there's a concern about airframe repair or service centers I'd sure like to know.  I look at forums as a place to discuss and learn.

Someone has to speak up.  anonymously  down vote?  Teenagers do that on Facebook?  FM, you are one of the big posters here, as are perhaps another 4-5 people.    Be part of the solution don't fire back with a message designed to keep the problem up in the air.  Feel free to private message me, I will give you my phone number and we can discuss.  Are you the moderator?

PS:  Vans is like most sites, a fraction of the posters are negative, but, the vast majority are helpful and positive.  On this site, the vast majority of the posters are gone.  

1 hour ago, okent said:

No worries, I figure if I say something out of line or wrong that a member/moderator will just say so, otherwise I dont care. 

I'm new to the airframe and flying, only about 35+ hours in a DA20 and 10 in a 172.  I dont have much to run on except what I read and am told.  If there's a concern about airframe repair or service centers I'd sure like to know.  I look at forums as a place to discuss and learn.

This group has been around for almost 15 years so we know what to expect.  To get along well just don't be political (unless you lean left you then may express yourself a bit without recourse) and have thin skin.  There will always be someone with opposing view and many take things personally.

The up/down voting is there and using it is reasonable and shouldn't result in name calling. 

Expecting much from the mods will only lead to disappointment.  Post about your landing gear in the Avionics forum and no-one will care enough to move it.

Blueyonder, not sure what you refer to when you say "self installed"?  My understanding of an approved installation for an non-TSO'd ADS-B such as the SkyGuardTWX which was installed in my CTSW, is as follows:  To meet FAA's 2020 LSA rules, the ADS-B must meet 3 criteria.  1.The manufacturer of a non-TSO'd ADS-B unit that is being installed must certify the ADS-B unit is recognized by the FAA as "meeting the performance requirements of TSO-C154c" and "The FAA has approved the installation in an Experimental or LSA aircraft".  2. The aircraft manufacturer must approve and issue a MRA in order that the ADS-B unit can be installed into the aircraft.  3.The ADS-B unit must be "permanently" installed by a LSRM or A&P who is required to sign the MRA document verifying the equipment was installed IAW the MRA instructions and who also must provide a aircraft log entry for this installation.  "Permanently" installed means the ADS-B unit must be securely attached to the aircraft and must derive it's power from a dedicated, fused, power source which uses the aircraft's electrical power system.

18 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

3.The ADS-B unit must be "permanently" installed by a LSRM or A&P who is required to sign the MRA document verifying the equipment was installed IAW the MRA instructions and who also must provide a aircraft log entry for this installation.

Hi.

That was my understanding also but I read some messages that described installations that appeared to be done by the owners? Maybe they were Experimentals?

I apologize to Okent for having someone giving him a hard time, I don't really understand these ratings, but my intention was more to find if that acft was the same as the one I've seen advertised by someone else and I happen to know a lot of  the history,  small World?  Good luck with your new bird.

Okent, if you do find some info on your new install please post here, or send me a private Email, and I suggest you just ignore all these ratings carp.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I understand the process but I am still trying to get as much as I've done this, here are the problems I've encountered, cost... type of feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Performed the ADS-B qualification flight Sunday and got the OK from the FAA. The 'out' equipment was the Garmin GTX 335 w/WAAS. It's almost cheating cuz the 335 is an all-in-one 'out' solution. Still, it deserves a shout out to Juan Leon at Sedona Avionics in Tucson. He gathered all the equipment, installed, tested and filed the MRA. All this in 2 days (while Roger did the annual) and reasonably priced too... WTG Juan!