ADS_B

Al Downs

Well I  have tried the UAvionix Sky Beacon and Tail Beacon on my CTLS. Neither one will work  on  the the composite wing or tail. It seems the reception is blocked by the design of the plane I have a Garmin 696, Garmin 327GTX and the Dynon D100 and 120.

What is the best way to go or should I wait for Oshkosh? I have 4 CTLS's and a gyroplane to install them  on.

Sorry to hear about the incompatibility of the beacon designs. The regular uAvionix devices would work fine, but the install isn't as easy as the beacon ones. For my plane I went with the more expensive GTX 335 w/WAAS for the 'out' and the GDL 39 for the 'in' to the 696 (weather and traffic). The 39 will also Bluetooth to a phone or tablet running Garmin Pilot, but I chose not to do that. I use the free Avare app on both my phone and tablet and use their GPS for location display.

I have the same panel as Al and I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require the use of an ipad.  I like the idea of everything mounted in the plane.

The GTX335 and GDL 39 is probably the way I'll go unless something else will interface with my existing equipment.

I priced a SkyView touch screen monitor with all the required add ons and it was about 8K plus install.

I completely understand, it's just my personal preference.  An iPad and foreflight are definitely very useful tools.  If I didn't have access to an IFR capable 182 for cross country I would do something else.  My plan is to use this as a time builder and fly this plane for a year or two then look at moving to something with more seats.    May never happen but that's the plan today.😎 

Well, their  GDL 82 is generally considered a reasonably priced solution.If you already have a transponder , you can get set up for about $2500-3000 including installation costs.

in the world of ADSB out solutions - that’s pretty darn cheap 😀

WHY IS EVERYONE OVERLOOKING THIS?

UAVIONIX BUNDLE ECHOUAT WITH SKYFYX-EXT ALL-IN-ONE RECEIVER $1399 FROM AIRCRAFT SPRUCE? 

IN AND OUT SOLUTION, MINIMUM WIRING AND POSSIBLE $100 BACK FROM MANUFACTURER. 

NO ADDITIONAL PANEL AREA NEEDED.

NEED A GTX327 TRANSPONDER ALREADY INSTALLED IN MOST CTs

LARRY

5 hours ago, Warmi said:

Well, their  GDL 82 is generally considered a reasonably priced solution.If you already have a transponder , you can get set up for about $2500-3000 including installation costs.

in the world of ADSB out solutions - that’s pretty darn cheap 😀

Besides that, if it’s installed right . . . you don’t have to bore any more holes in your airplane. To some of us . . . that does matter.

21 minutes ago, Flying Bozo said:

Because they’re not.

i examined that carefully and still chose the GDL-82 for several reasons.

For support longevity . . . I put my money on Garmin to be around longer than uAvionix.

1 hour ago, Flying Bozo said:

UAVIONIX BUNDLE ECHOUAT WITH SKYFYX-EXT ALL-IN-ONE RECEIVER $1399 FROM AIRCRAFT SPRUCE? 

IN AND OUT SOLUTION, MINIMUM WIRING AND POSSIBLE $100 BACK FROM MANUFACTURER. 

NO ADDITIONAL PANEL AREA NEEDED.

NEED A GTX327 TRANSPONDER ALREADY INSTALLED IN MOST CTs

LARRY

Well, in my case my plane already came in with GLD 39 /796 combo - once you have a few pieces of the puzzle in place , it makes sense to keep going with finish the puzzle 🙂

i CAN'T SAY IF IT WILL WORK WITH THE 696. SO FAR IT WORKS WITH ANYTHING THAT CAN RECEIVE WIFI AND DISPLAY THE TRAFFIC ON THE MAP SCREEN, LIKE I PAD AND I PHONE AND ANDROID PAD AND ANDROID PHONE I FLY DISPLAY

EASY INSTALL, POWER AND GROUND AND A CONNECTION TO WAAS ANTENNA. EASY SET UP WITH APP. THE AIRBORNE REPORT WAS CLEAN. NO PANEL SPACE USED UP.

LARRY

52 minutes ago, Flying Bozo said:

i CAN'T SAY IF IT WILL WORK WITH THE 696. SO FAR IT WORKS WITH ANYTHING THAT CAN RECEIVE WIFI AND DISPLAY THE TRAFFIC ON THE MAP SCREEN, LIKE I PAD AND I PHONE AND ANDROID PAD AND ANDROID PHONE I FLY DISPLAY

EASY INSTALL, POWER AND GROUND AND A CONNECTION TO WAAS ANTENNA. EASY SET UP WITH APP. THE AIRBORNE REPORT WAS CLEAN. NO PANEL SPACE USED UP.

LARRY

Larry,

What locations did you use for the installation?

BTW everything is included in the package. The only thing you need already is the Garmin GTX327 transponder that talks to the unit by magic (no additional wiring). I thought it was by blue tooth or something like that but another person on this blog explained that it was something else through the power wire to the unit so must be magic. Also my 327 had older software in it but when I asked the radio guy about it he said it would work just fine with the older software and he was correct.

Anyway so far it is bullet proof. I have done several airborne reports since the original just to see what was happening and each one of them was absolutely clear of any issues.

Good luck, 

Larry