UV protective coatings? System X Ceramic?

Yeah, ideally a CT or any aircraft that isn't metal skinned (and even the latter) should not be tied down in the sun on the ramp instead of being hangared. But it's nice to have that option without in addition to heat, wind, and rain, having to worry about UV degradation.

Even if nominally "always hangared" at 2000 hours it gets 2000 hours of UV ... some at altitude where there's more UV... and s then there's the weeks of tied down on visitor ramps during cross country trips.

So curious about opinions and experiences of UV protection products

(ranging from things like 303 Aerospace UV Protectant for ten bucks that wipes on but has to be periodically reapplied, to spray on clear coats like UV-Resistant Clear Coating - | Krylon, to on the high end a ceramic coating like System X Ceramic https://www.element119.com/aircraft.html which would probably cost about $250 to cover a CT and claims to be permanent and have the blessings of some major aircraft makers.)

I was particularly intrigued by that System X Ceramic. Even sounds easy to apply.

Thoughts? Experiences? Facts?

• 6 months later...

I'd suggest you ask your question

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, sandpiper said:

System X sounds too good to be true. I know it says it can be applied to composites but what proof is there?

Hi,     I suggest you ask your question directly to the makers of System X

https://www.element119.com/aircraft.html and +1 (860) 358 0119 or sales@element119.com .

I checked them out a while ago and it LOOKED credible to me. IIRR they did have proof.  But do your own checking. Be nice if you report back here what you find.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...