Loud screeching noise on shutdown

Steve Schroeder

I have a SportCruiser with a Rotax 912 ULS. I always got a lot of kickback with the prop on shutdown. It shakes the engine mounts pretty good. I try to let the RPM settle as slow as possible with the throttle all the way back before tuning the key to off but I still get the kickback.  I stopped worrying about it when someone explained to me it was normal for a high compression engine as the Rotax 912 ULS.  Now I m getting a screeching sound as well as the kickback.  I have pulled the engine cowling and everything looks good inside.  It sounds like a screeching belt on a car but there are no belts on a Rotax as far as I know. Should I be concerned?

What I noticed with my engine is that , if I just taxi down to the hangar and then turn off one mag, wait and then another to shut it down, 90% of time it will shut down very softly.

If , on the other hand, I do something like a 4000 rpm run up and then attempt to shut it down without idling for a while , I am more than likely to get a decently violent shudder which always makes me uncomfortable - no matter what people say it just can’t be good for the engine.

I did get a screeching sound a few times when it didn’t shut down softly - and I also got this sound sometimes when attempting to burp a hot engine - but it seems quite random , I can never replicate it on demand and it comes and goes.

Archived