Approved solutions for wipedown

Ben2k9

What is the current thinking about cleaning solutions that can be used to wipe down plane (leading edges, etc) after a flight beyond just water?

saw someone on the Cirrus forum talking about how he wipes his leading edges with Pledge 

For leading edges and prop, I use either Composiclean or Turtle Ice “Spray Wax,” (not the “Detailer”). Turtle Ice is about 1/3 cost of Composiclean and works just as good. Additionally, I have found that Turtle Ice Spray Wax does a very good job on the windscreen and doors.

At the end of each flying day, I hit the smashed bugs with the above and a Micro-fiber cloth. Keeps it looking good for my next launch.

I have some composiclean, but the instructions says to rinse it off with water, right?  Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Are you taking about the cleaning solution or the wax?

5 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

I have some composiclean, but the instructions says to rinse it off with water, right?  Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Are you taking about the cleaning solution or the wax?

I am not talking about the “Bucket Wash.”

I’m talking about  ”COMPOSICLEAN™ Super Spray-Wax™.”

It comes in a spray bottle. Good stuff for composites . . . but spendy.

Go with the Turtle Ice Spray Wax (WalMart Aviation). Will clean . . then leaves a light coat of wax behind, which makes future bug smashes easier to remove.

I bought some Compsiclean wash to wash my aircraft with. I then placed a small amount of the Compsiclean wash in a spray bottle and then filled the spray bottle with water. After shaking it up, I use that to clean the bugs off of my plane with. It works great!

My plane has never been washed. I use Composiclean a couple of times a month. More frequently during bug season. In between I use a California Duster to keep the dust off. When the belly gets dirty I use Oil Eater followed by Composiclean. Plane is always hangared.

This has worked just fine for 12 years. In the end analysis I really don't spend that much on Composiclean.