Angle of Attack Dynon

CTSleepy

I was reading an article in Flight Training which I received today and it was taking about the Icon A5 and how you learn to fly with just the AOA gauge. 

Does anyone use the AOA sensor on the Dynon and if so... how do you use it? What data does it give you? Any tricks I can use it to supplement my flying? Any good reading material? The article basically says that you can say screw airspeed and RPMs, it's all about the AOA gauge. That seems excessive but it may work for the Icon A5. I want to know how it works for the CT.

58 minutes ago, Warmi said:

The way I see it ... If your airspeed is no longer a sufficient proxy for AOA in a light sport plane , then you are already way past operational limitations of the plane and you are toying with disaster ....

https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/angle-of-attack-isnt-a-miracle-cure/

Right. That's the traditional approach. Airspeed gives you the angle you need... but is it the most efficient angle for your current setup? I'm not saying that AOA gauge should be the only thing we look at. I'm asking how people use it in their CTs, or if everyone ignores it. 

I like the idea of an AoA indicator, but I found Dynon's D100 implementation to be murky and confusing. In the end, I took it off the display. Icon's presentation seems more intuitive to me. That leads me to the subject of the lack of standardization in glass displays. There is miscellaneous information peppered all over the screen and it takes time to know where to look for it. Round gauge guys lament the loss of steam gauges, I think mostly because they were all laid out the same and were highly intuitive (mostly). That can be important when switching planes.

1 hour ago, SportFlyer1 said:

. . . Round gauge guys lament the loss of steam gauges, I think mostly because they were all laid out the same and were highly intuitive (mostly). That can be important when switching planes.

JFYI, Skyview provides the option to display analog instruments (the six-pack) in lieu of digital tape indicators. It actually does a good job, if one prefers the old style. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Tom Baker said:

The AoA in the Dynon is only as acurate asthe person who calibrated it was. I have seen some that were close, and others that were not. I would not trust it to fly the airplane.

I see AoA calibration the same as Airspeed.  I trust them after I do some stalls.

I'm hoping there is AoA in my CT that arrives very soon.  I will employ it on those approaches where I'm very light and I just know, that 1.3 Vso is under 50kts.

The primary use for AoA in my opinion is in maneuvering flight.  You can tell at a glance if your slow, steep turn at low level is getting close to stall.  It’s not very useful for landing in the CT, because it doesn’t give you information about approach angle, sink rate, or other factors.  Looking out the windshield will give you more information.

Holding steady at some ideal AoA on approach is unlikely to result in a good approach by itself.  You could use it like airspeed as a reference when landing, but in that use case it’s not really reducing workload or providing any benefit over using airspeed the same way.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

You could use it like airspeed as a reference when landing, but in that use case it’s not really reducing workload or providing any benefit over using airspeed the same way.

As I said above it provides 1 big advantage over airspeed. It remains correct regardless of weight so I can confirm that 48kts is a good approach speed due to light weight without doing stalls to confirm.

48kts just looks alarming and confirmation can be comforting

1 hour ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

As I said above it provides 1 big advantage over airspeed. It remains correct regardless of weight so I can confirm that 48kts is a good approach speed due to light weight without doing stalls to confirm.

Haha, yeah I make my minimum speed landings at 48kts and it's pretty slow.  I can confirm that the airplane won't stall on you at that speed with 30° flaps.  I have let the speed get down to 45kt and it still doesn't stall but the sink rate gets very high and it takes a lot of power to arrest the sink.  Definitely way behind the power curve at that point.  I've only gotten that slow a time or two, and not on purpose.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Haha, yeah I make my minimum speed landings at 48kts and it's pretty slow.  I can confirm that the airplane won't stall on you at that speed with 30° flaps.  I have let the speed get down to 45kt and it still doesn't stall but the sink rate gets very high and it takes a lot of power to arrest the sink.  Definitely way behind the power curve at that point.  I've only gotten that slow a time or two, and not on purpose.

No matter what my approach, 55kts - 48kts I usually get a lot slower just before contact.  Either way I tend to contact at 39kts.  Full aft stick seems to get me there.

4 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Concur totally.