CTLSi Low Fuel Pressure

Andy A

I've noticed my CTLSi's fuel pressure runs pretty close to the bottom of the green arc.  Around 42.5 psi.  When I take off, I turn on the back up electric fuel pump then turn it off when I get to a safe altitude.  Sometimes, when I turn off the fuel pump, the fuel pressure gauge drops close to 0 psi for just a split second and the engine comes close to quitting, then the pressure runs back up to 42-43 psi and everything is back to normal.  Does anyone else experience this?

1 hour ago, Andy A said:

I've noticed my CTLSi's fuel pressure runs pretty close to the bottom of the green arc.  Around 42.5 psi.  When I take off, I turn on the back up electric fuel pump then turn it off when I get to a safe altitude.  Sometimes, when I turn off the fuel pump, the fuel pressure gauge drops close to 0 psi for just a split second and the engine comes close to quitting, then the pressure runs back up to 42-43 psi and everything is back to normal.  Does anyone else experience this?

28 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Replace the engine compartment fuel filter and then inspect the gascolator screen. That should take care of your problem.

Andy,

Please let us know if that solves the problem.

• 1 month later...

We cleaned the gascolator screen yesterday and solved the problem.  It was close to being completely clogged up.  If anyone else has this problem, please note that there is as safety wire installed on the wheel on the gascolator that has to be removed before the gascolator bowl can be removed.  The safety wire on our airplane was located on the back of the gascolator where it couldn't be seen.  We tried to unscrew the wheel for about 30 minutes before figuring this out.

4 minutes ago, Andy A said:

We cleaned the gascolator screen yesterday and solved the problem.  It was close to being completely clogged up.  If anyone else has this problem, please note that there is as safety wire installed on the wheel on the gascolator that has to be removed before the gascolator bowl can be removed.  The safety wire on our airplane was located on the back of the gascolator where it couldn't be seen.  We tried to unscrew the wheel for about 30 minutes before figuring this out.

If I remember correctly, removing the gascolator for service is easier that trying to do it in place.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, Tom Baker said:

. . .  removing the gascolator for service is easier that trying to do it in place.

Sorry Tom, I do not understand the above.

Do you mean . . . it is easier to remove the entire gascolator, for servicing . . . rather than attempt to service it while it is still mounted (attached) to the airframe?

7 hours ago, WmInce said:

Sorry Tom, I do not understand the above.

Do you mean . . . it is easier to remove the entire gascolator, for servicing . . . rather than attempt to service it while it is still mounted (attached) to the airframe?

Yes, because there is not enough room for servicing. I have one coming for annual in August, and if I remember I will take pictures.