Question Overload

Andrew Lane

Hey Guys,

I'm new to flying and trying to learn a lot. I'm struggling to understand:

1. if i buy a used 2009 CTLS .... how do i know if it's got the right equipment for night VFR?
  2. doesn't it need a certain lighting package?
  3. can that lighting equipment be installed after the fact?

i've seen whispers about pre-2010 standard not prohibiting IFR/IMC planned flights. are any CT's IFR approved (without ELSA conversion)?

is there a solid knowledge base of LOA's outside of this forum?

To the best of my knowledge all of the CTLS's have the night lighting package. They all came standard with the Dynon, which should have the battery back up which is a ASTM requirement for night flight that is beyond the CFR 91.205 requirement.

My old CTLS was a container mate to one in Iowa, that was used for IFR training and flown in IMC conditions. I think it was Iowa Flight training. You might look them up and give them a call about operating the early CTLS in IMC.

As for LOA's, Flight Design has been pretty good about issuing LOA's. Unless you are making an unreasonable request I don't think it will be a problem.

i just called and spoke to Tim at Iowa Flight Training. REALLY NICE GUY! gave me a lot to think about.

I don't want to misquote him, but I think he said that the only addition to his CTLS, was done at the factory, and it was to add a Garmin WAAS 430 which resulted in an aircraft that fit the pre-2010 acceptability for IFR/IMC flying.

I guess I need to reach out to FD USA and see if they have an existing LOA for the Garmin WAAS 430.  Unless someone has a better suggestion?

2 hours ago, okent said:

Now that's interesting.   I was under the impression that s-lsa was not able to be certified for IFR.  I'd sure be interested in what it would take to get my 2008 ctls done.

Okent,

my understanding is:

1) lsa’s are not certified, their just governed by industry standards, which are set by some governing body of manufacturers. I think the standards are called: ASTM. Individual manufacturers of LSAs can further specify limitations for their specific aircraft that don’t conflict with ASTM standards.

2) In 2010 ASTM standards added a prohibition on IFR capabilities.

3) aircraft made prior to that change may/may-not be able to fly in IMC/IFR situations depending on whether they have the necessary equipment (equipment is of course subject to manufacturer approval) and depending on whether the manufacturer has prescribed limitations that prevent such operation.

So I think the reasoning goes: if ASTM standards don’t prohibit it, and if FD allows the equipage, and you have such necessary equipment installed, and if FD doesn’t prohibit IFR....then you’re ok to operate IFR/IMC. Hopefully people will chime in with clarification/correction etc. 

2 hours ago, okent said:

Now that's interesting.   I was under the impression that s-lsa was not able to be certified for IFR.  I'd sure be interested in what it would take to get my 2008 ctls done.

All SLSA if properly equipped can be certified IFR. SLSA Built after a certain point in 2010 are prohibited from flight in IMC. SLSA built before that point it is up to the manufacturer. 

BTW, even if your SLSA is prohibited from IMC, if you convert it to experimental you get new operating limitations, and if you have a sympathetic DAR you can get him to write them to include IFR flight into IMC if properly equipped.  My ELSA operating limitations include that language.

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't know about the change in 2010.  I thought that the only way to be O.K. to go with IFR in IMC was to to the ELSA route.

My 2008 has the Dynon D100/D120 and I just added a GDL 39 and GDL 82 which talk to my 696.

I wonder what other equipment would be needed to get it up to speed for IFR/IMC, if it's even possible to get a MRA.  I would want to stay SLSA.