GDL-82 Installed

FlyingMonkey

I just finished installing and testing a GDL-82 ADS-B OUT box in my 2007 CTSW.  I'm using a generic Stratux dual-band IN device, which feeds my iFly 740b as the weather & traffic display device.

I did the install myself, it was a snap.  I could have wired my own harness, but I let ACS do that for me to save aggravation.  I had to terminate a power wire with a ring terminal, a ground wire with a spade disconnect, and run two short coax cables.  It was easily done in about four hours.  I mounted the unit inside the mushroom, on the right side behind the breaker panel.  I had an unused breaker for an ADI that I used, which will get relabeled "ADS-B".  The wires are there but I didn't connect a failure annunciator light or "anonymous mode" switch.  If there's a problem ATC will let me know, and the anon mode only affects other airplanes, not ATC seeing who you are.  Doesn't buy much for me.  The GPS antenna is mounted on the glare shield just ahead of the Hula Dancer.

I did the rebate test flight and it came back with a perfect sheet, zero exceptions and passed all requirements.  SIL level reported as 3.  Rebate check is in the mail, according to FAA.  I have nothing but nice things to say about it so far.  Easy install, perfect function, well packaged and sturdy.

According to their docs the anon mode works universally as long as you are squawking 1200 code - so yeah, if you enter some airspace where you have to squawk some assigned number , it won’t work but then again, you have already self identified yourself anyway.

13 hours ago, Warmi said:

According to their docs the anon mode works universally as long as you are squawking 1200 code - so yeah, if you enter some airspace where you have to squawk some assigned number , it won’t work but then again, you have already self identified yourself anyway.

But I think anon only works to prevent other airplanes from IDing you.  I believe ATC still sees your tail number/hex code.  It would be nice if anon made your truly anonymous universally.  But I guess that's what my ADS-B circuit breaker is for...  😎

The way I understand their docs is that the GLD 82 will substitute your plane ID with a generic value if the switch for anonymous mode is on as long as the transponder it is using,  is set to squawk 1200. 
GLD 82 is just broadcasting stuff with either your plane ID or a generic ID so it is fully in control what goes out in the broadcast and since it is a broadcast , it cannot tell who gets what ( ATC vs other planes )

But yeah, if you are being really naughty in some airspace where you shouldn't be  , the breaker will do the magic just fine ... 🙂

2 hours ago, Warmi said:

But yeah, if you are being really naughty in some airspace where you shouldn't be  , the breaker will do the magic just fine ... 🙂

I don't intentionally break the rules, but I don't like the idea of being tracked all the time with no way to turn it off.