CTSW fuel pressure question.

Buckaroo

I m getting my BFR and on climb out my fuel pressure gauge wobbles around the 3 psi mark and then dips to 1 psi momentarily with a red warning flash. My CFI points to the gauge and says “whats this all about”. I gave him some gibberish about it’s normal or something. 

I remember asking questions on this forum about that psi gauge and remember reading it’s not critical and that the fuel will flow.

Can someone I lighten me as to the roll the psi indicator has in the successful continued operation of the engine and how the fuel pump interacts with the gravitational flow of fuel?

Thanks again! 

Ok I’ll check those out. Can you elaborate on the fuel system in general? Another words if the psi indicates zero will the engine quit? If the mechanical fuel pump fails with the engine quit? 

Gravity fed fuel assists the top two systems hopefully! 

The mechanical pump has rarely ever failed. If it were to totally fail it fails open. Yes gravity feed makes a huge difference and no the engine will not quit. You may only be able to get

4900 - 5000 rpm out of it before it wants to cough, but you can still fly wherever you want. The engine will run just fine below the 2.2 psi minimum. I know this because I tested the system just for this.

I don’t know about you but I think we own one of the safest LSA’s in the business! No mixture adjustments, no carb heat worries, no fuel selector decisions, no critical flap requirements, simple ignition system, no fuel pumps, etc. 

Thanks Roger for clearing this up! I’ll forward this discussion to my flight instructor who gave me the BFR! He kind of got pale when the fuel pressure gauge went red momentarily.