Insane Insurance Quotes

ODowneyEng

Been checking out purchasing a new CTLSi. The deal killer was $5,676 for insurance.

I then checked insurance for a 2012 CTLSi. They wanted $3848

I was wandering if the loss of my CTSW in Hurricane Florence was causal.

The agent said she could do a Cessna 172 for $1,000

Any ideas on what is going on here

I recently bought a CTLSi... (new prices are published, so you know what the hull value is).  I had 120 total hours (vast majority of the hours were in the 70's and 80's... I re-entered the active flying force last year and am a PPilot),  I did earn a tail wheel endorsement in a Piper Cub last year... then transitioned into a Kappa, then the CTLSi when it was delivered from Germany.  I could have paid $1,600 for insurance, but I had my instructor and young son endorsed as well... my total insurance bill is about $2,000.  

Suggest you contact Gregg Ellsworth, he is at all the Light Sport gatherings and has supported the CT line for years... he gets it.  Nice guy too and a solid administrative team.  Good luck...

Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)

P.O. BOX 32 | Frederick, MD  21705

Toll Free 877-247-7767 | Fax 301-682-9793

Ph 301-682-6200

My CTSW was insured for $70,000 and totaled after being under water in Hurricane Florence. I am now 72.  I guess those are two reasons why I have been getting  such high quotes. No other claims.

Thanks y’all for the responses.

6 minutes ago, Odowneyeng said:

My CTSW was insured for $70,000 and totaled after being under water in Hurricane Florence. I am now 72.  I guess those are two reasons why I have been getting  such high quotes. No other claims.

Thanks y’all for the responses.

My CTSW was insured for $80,000 and totaled after being taxied in the wind by me. I am now 66.  I'll share my quote with you to compare notes.

Interesting that insurance costs are very similar on this side of the pond. 

2006 CTSW valued at £55,000 ($70,000) paying £1200 ($1500). That's with me starting with zero hours on type.

Was expecting it to be significantly cheaper in the U.S, as it seems much more General Aviation friendly.  

2 hours ago, KentWien said:

Called Greg Ellsworth at Air Pros thanks to this post and already seeing one quote with hull coverage that’s $250 less (only $950!) with more to come in.

That’s about right.

Another recommendation is:

Alexander Avn Insurance, Gloria Dublin

(321) 444-6577

gloria@alexanderaviation.com.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, Ed Cesnalis said:

I paid $1,000 last year for my 06 CTSW @ $80,000 (hull).  I totaled it and now need a quote for an 07, think I will get penalized for the total loss?  

I am pretty sure you will - I am wondering thought if it makes any difference when a paid claim was due to an act of god ( say a hurricane ) vs pilots own actions ... it doesn’t seem like, given that odowneyeng was already hit with such high quote.

AOPA had the best rates or our 2014 CTLSi.  $1,547 for $1,000,000 combined single limit.  The lesser coverage they offered was about $1,200 but I can't remember the limits.  Based on $100,000 hull value...because that is what I paid for it.  Also, I am close to you in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

I just got my third renewal notice.  Of course, the liability terms, hull value, and pilot experience makes it important to consider more than just the premium.

For my 4th year flying the CTLSi, my premium is about $3,000, and it's been pretty steady for all four years.  Here's the pertinent information.

Liability coverage: $2 million

Sublimits: None.  This is very important...many policies have a $100,000 per passenger sublimit, which is very close to flying "bare" in terms of liability coverage

Hull value: $140,000

Time in type: 200 hours

Total time: 2, 600 hours

Ratings: Private Pilot, Instrument, Commercial

One data point.

Andy

BTW: Just got my annual quote, and in spite of more hours and no claims, my rates went up.  I asked my broker about it, and he said rates went up this year across the board.  Not sure why, accident rates have been declining overall.  The broker tried to move me to a slightly cheaper carrier, but I decided to pay the extra $29 to stay with USAIG.

Last year was $1085, this year was $1140, almost exactly a 5% increase.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

just sharing info in case it helps others.

I just got quotes from two brokers mentioned in this thread, they were both very nice/helpful/great! Here's the details of the policy I chose:

• Price $1602/yr
  • Carrier: USAIG
  • Hull Value: $93,775
  • Liability Limits: $1,000,000 per occurrence, $100,000 per passenger
  • Medical Limits: $10,000 per occurrence, $5,000 per passenger
  • Aircraft: 2011 CTLS, Tied Down at KMYF
  • Me: Student pilot with 0 hours, 32 years old.

---------------------------------

Gregg Ellsworth of Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)
P.O. BOX 32 | Frederick, MD  21705
Toll Free 877-247-7767 | Fax 301-682-9793 | Ph 301-682-6200

--AND--

Kathie Welsh
Alexander Aviation Associates, Inc.
Phone: (321) 444-6577 / Fax: (321) 444-6582 / E-mail: Kathie@AlexanderAviation.Com / Web: www.AlexanderAviation.com

Edited by Andrew Lane
added more policy detail

18 minutes ago, Andrew Lane said:

Hi Guys,

just sharing info in case it helps others.

I just got quotes from two brokers mentioned in this thread. Gregg got me a policy for $1602/yr from USAIG. I'm a new student pilot with 0 hours, 32 years old, aircraft is insured at hull value of $94k and will be kept in a tie down at KMYF. Both Kathie and Gregg were great.

Gregg Ellsworth of Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)
P.O. BOX 32 | Frederick, MD  21705
Toll Free 877-247-7767 | Fax 301-682-9793 | Ph 301-682-6200

--AND--

Kathie Welsh
Alexander Aviation Associates, Inc.
Phone: (321) 444-6577 / Fax: (321) 444-6582 / E-mail: Kathie@AlexanderAviation.Com / Web: www.AlexanderAviation.com

Andrew, be sure you look at the liability limits, and the sublimits (no sublimit, a good thing, is sometimes referred to as "smooth").  They are very important considerations.  Good luck!

Andy

20 hours ago, andyb said:

Andrew, be sure you look at the liability limits, and the sublimits (no sublimit, a good thing, is sometimes referred to as "smooth").  They are very important considerations.  Good luck!

Andy

Thanks Andy. I just added that info to my post. i hope it's helpful to others in the future who are putting together a budget or comparing.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Aerospace just quoted my 2007 CTSW @ $60k hull value for $2,000.  Keep in mind they just paid me $80,000 for totaling my last one.

Not bad, maybe I'll take it.

I would shop around Ed.

I think you can do better than that.