iPads

Animosity2k

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this as I am new here. CTLS Student currently but plan to be finished up by middle of next month. I don't own an iPad and want one for the CTLS POH PDF, Foreflight (sucks on an iphone xr) among other things. Would you guys recommend an iPad Mini or something larger? Plan to be flying a CTLS for quite some time so want something that will fit. 

Thanks in advance. 

I have flown with an iPad for 5 years, in my CTSW.

My current tablet is an iPad Pro 10.5”. It is attached by a RAM suction-mount, to the left door window, just above and forward of the air vent.

Plenty of room . . . absolutely love it.

CFD76220-7FB5-4A3C-999E-2A9C65887B30.jpeg

I have a very similar setup to Bill's, and have used it since day 1 of my CT ownership 5 years ago. 

A lot of people prefer the mini, but to me a full-sized iPad fits perfectly and gives more screen area for navigation, as well as a better experience when you want to surf the Web or watch a movie on Netflix while stuck in a hotel because of weather (ask me how I know...).  Look at my landing videos in other threads and you can see my setup in action and how it fits.

You could probably even fit the big iPad Pro in the CT, but I'd get the dimensions of the device and mock it up with cardboard before buying.

I've used an iPad 2 with Foreflight and a Stratus for about 6 years, mounted in the center-panel iPad dock on my Aerotrek A240. With my CTLSi, I just installed the Dynon wi-fi adaptors that will allow me to upload Foreflight plans into the Skyviews.  I haven't had the opportunity to test it out on an actual XC yet, but hope to soon. As far as where to mount the iPad in the CTLS - I'll probably just throw it in the passenger seat for now. If my wife is with me, then we'll figure out something else. It'll be pretty redundant, though, with the Skyview GPS and Garmin Aera 796 showing me the path. 

I think I will go with the Pro as well. I want something that I can also use for studying between lessons. I have a 10" touch screen laptop but its super fragile and cost 2 fold what an iPad does, plus I cannot run Foreflight on it or mount it in the plane. The mini just seemed useless as it's so small and any study work on it would be a bit difficult.... I think your all pushing me towards the pro. 

I’ve tried the 12”. Yep, I love that screen but it’s just too big in the CT. 

Mostly I've used the 10” with good results. That said, Lately I’ve even used an iPhone XS Max and liking that, since my 10” isn’t always available. 

33 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Do you guys know if an older 9.7' iPad 5 will work fine or should I get the newer Pro version?

Brighter screen, longer battery life, more real estate . . . it’s a no brainer . . . if you can afford it.😃

...and far easier to "plan" the flight plan at home on a larger screen... than a small one.  Windy is now on it along with all of the other weather sites.  

I brought my new ipad (10.5" one I think it is) on a commercial flight to AZ recently... and as I was planning a trip to Oshkosh... I noted that Foreflight, which I had installed the day before... was actually tracking the Airbus 320 airplane I was in.  Very cool to see how high we were, how fast... and tracking in real time.  A bonus.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, WmInce said:

I have flown with an iPad for 5 years, in my CTSW.

My current tablet is an iPad Pro 10.5”. It is attached by a RAM suction-mount, to the left door window, just above and forward of the air vent.

Plenty of room . . . absolutely love it.

CFD76220-7FB5-4A3C-999E-2A9C65887B30.jpeg

Nice legs.

16 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

You should be good to go with that unit.  Good luck and let me know if you need help with mounts.

I currently am a student and do not have my own plane. Is there an easy mount that I can pop in and out quickly?

Thanks in advance!

Time to decide for me.  My NewToMe  CTSW arrives at 11 this morning and it has no mount.  I have been using a gooseneck bolted to the floor. It locates my 7" Galaxy close to my face where I can see it well.  The negative here is the gooseneck is in  the vicinity of the throttle and brake.  I'm wondering if the spar box offer's a mount opportunity that's better?

Bill's big screen looks great until I consider what it does to the view.

37 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

. . . Bill's big screen looks great until I consider what it does to the view.

In my configuration, it obstructs slightly, but not so much that it is intrusive.

Although, for your photographic purposes Ed, you may not view it that way.

If you do a window mount, as I do, it may be worthwhile to try it out.

I exclusively use RAM mounts. They are awesome . . . well constructed and have never failed me.

25 minutes ago, WmInce said:

In my configuration, it obstructs slightly, but not so much that it is intrusive.

Although, for your photographic purposes Ed, you may not view it that way.

If you do a window mount, as I do, it may be worthwhile to try it out.

I exclusively use RAM mounts. They are awesome . . . well constructed and have never failed me.

Have a pic of your config sir and what items you used to mount it? 

Presently . . and pictured above, I use a removable RAM suction mount for 10.5 “ iPad Pro, 2-uniballs (one screwed into suction mount and one screwed into iPad mount) and a 6” female receiver arm, which fits in between the two uniballs. The 6” receiver arm is better than the 3” arm. More versatility.

However, in the very near future, I will be going to the phenomenal “Andy Walker Modification.” No LOA required, Andy and I are Experimental category!

That mod is a permanent uniball mount, attached to the left side of the instrument panel (or “mushroom”), which then receives the uniball which was originally attached to the suction mount. A big advantage to that is, the door can be opened, on the ground, without the possibility of the iPad mount departing the window and impacting the ground. In 5 years of window mounting, that has never happened . . . knock on wood!

21 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Bill's big screen looks great until I consider what it does to the view.

The Ram ball on the side like I have makes the iPad sit lower than Bill's.  From my seat I look right over it and can see around it, no problem.

The downside is you have to drill a couple of holes in the 'shroom.