MY new CTSW has heavy stick and rudder

Ed Cesnalis

Is it a 2007?  Does it have the extra pitch spring?  If you center the stick on the ground and then release it, it will fall forward with a clunk if the extra spring is in there.

You should always seek factory guidance on an SLSA, but I removed the extra spring on my ELSA and it made the airplane better and less fatiguing to fly.

You're comparing apple and oranges. Your old CT is not like your new one. It's just different and you're not used to it. Start all trims at a zero mid point. Then once in level flight trim the pitch first, then the ailerons and then the rudder. It should be fine then.

Don't try and make permanent adjustments in the trim controls until you fly it a while and reset the cabin trims.

I can't tell you how many Ct's have come in and they think their trim adjustments are all out of whack or their plane won't trim.

Follow the order above and you should be good. Stick pressure is going to be different because it's a different build CT.

If it doesn't roll straight on the ground the steering rods need adjusted.

I have seen extra stiff ailerons due to the pushrod rollers in the wing needing lubrication. They are very hard to see and get at to lubricate. Also the bearings on the ailerons them selves sometimes get stiff.

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

Now that’s interesting. Why was that?

I’m assuming they wanted it to have a little more resistance to feel like a heavier airplane, probably the same reason for the added pitch spring.  Maybe an effort to reduce landing incidents due to PIO and over controlling?

40 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I’m assuming they wanted it to have a little more resistance to feel like a heavier airplane, probably the same reason for the added pitch spring.  Maybe an effort to reduce landing incidents due to PIO and over controlling?

I seem to have heavy springs or heavier springs on all 3 axis.  Took 15 minutes go figure out how to fly it.

Managed to get a few photos too.

Clyde-2.jpg

Ritter-5.jpg

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

Now that’s interesting. Why was that?

I think it was due to the nose wheel pant that sometimes with the lighter spring the rudders would become pretty neutral, meaning they wouldn't center on their own. Not a big deal if you are hand flying the airplane. It was also about that time that hey started installing a autopilots on a regular basis. With the autopilot you could wind up with the airplane flying in a pretty significant skid because of the rudder not centering.

48 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I think it was due to the nose wheel pant that sometimes with the lighter spring the rudders would become pretty neutral, meaning they wouldn't center on their own. Not a big deal if you are hand flying the airplane. It was also about that time that hey started installing a autopilots on a regular basis. With the autopilot you could wind up with the airplane flying in a pretty significant skid because of the rudder not centering.

I have heard a similar explanation and I tend to agree with that. 

My 2007 is quite heavy in roll.  It’s not bad once you get used to it.  I noticed I sometimes push against my left hand with my left knee when making right turns, kind of subconsiously reducing the amount of force my arm has to apply.  I’m guessing I picked that up before my shoulder surgery to lessen force on that shoulder.

I think the rudder force required on my 2007 is just about perfect for me.