Using autogas

Frankmodels

Hi:

New to the CT world. Purchased a used CTsw a few weeks ago that was flown with avgas. Would prefer to use autogas but none of the local airports sell it (northern Jersey). So I figure the only way to use it is to truck it in with 5-gallon cans. But climbing a ladder with 30 pounds of fuel each trip is way past my motivation and inclination. So does anyone know of a gas pump that could easily transfer the fuel from the containers to the tanks?

Or am I stuck using avgas? If so, besides 25-hour oil changes anything else to look out for?

Frank

There is lots of info on the forum recently about fueling from cans, plus lots of older information. You might try the search button. When I had my CT I mostly used a 500 gallon tank with an electric pump and hose. I have done some with the 5 gallon jugs.

BTW welcome to the forum, and post some pictures of your airplane.

Tom and Ed:

Larger tank solutions like yours isn't an option for me. I drive a Jeep Patriot and it might be possible to put a hitch on it and tow a tank like Ed's. Will look into it. And you're right Tom. Found a lot of posts about the mogas fueling. So thanks to both of you for a quick reply. By the way the CT is N38BC.

Frank

To me, Tom, Ed and Kent have superior solutions for all around ease of filling.  

I took a photo of the solution I invested in, which is small scale... photo attached.  So far, it works really well.  I hoist the can up on the neoprene mat (purchased at Lowes) to prevent scratching.  Plastic cans hold micro dirt, sand, on the bottom, etc, not good for the wing. 

I pull the "straw" down and place it into the tank, put a woodworker's clip on the "Trigger" (clip not shown) and continue with the pre-flight while the gas empties into the tank.  Takes about 5 minutes.  I bought (2) 5 gallon tanks (at Lowes), I think I paid about $40/piece.  9-10 gallons is plenty for local flying trips.

The FD wing is a high wing, but not too bad.  I am 6 feet, I step on a small stool and lift the 30 pounds onto the neoprene mat easily.  The hard part for me (back) is lifting and holding the can while filling.  The straw solution avoids the 2nd step, the straw is just pointed down and into the tank, pull the trigger and it fills... no mess.  I am digging the cost savings of auto over 100LL.   I am also glad there are no auto gas fumes in the hangar thus far as a mechanic told me I would get.

gas can.jpg

I use this 2.5 gallon Tuff-Jug, purchased thru Amazon   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068FVBLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this adaptor, which works perfectly with our gas tank opening  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GRHBK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own 4 jugs, and one adaptor.  Can easily load 10 gallons in 5 minutes.  Works beautifully.

I also own one of their 5-gallon jugs, for when I want to throw my back out

Andy

10 hours ago, andyb said:

I use this 2.5 gallon Tuff-Jug, purchased thru Amazon   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068FVBLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this adaptor, which works perfectly with our gas tank opening  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GRHBK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own 4 jugs, and one adaptor.  Can easily load 10 gallons in 5 minutes.  Works beautifully.

I also own one of their 5-gallon jugs, for when I want to throw my back out

Andy

Andy, Tuff Jug claims it shuts the fuel flow off when the tank is full. Have your Tuff Jugs performed well in this regard?

5 hours ago, andyb said:

I saw that.  Honestly, I don't know, as I've never used them to completely full the tanks.  Usually take a passenger, and want to be legal, so typically not full tanks.

Andy

You can fill the tanks, but it usually requires some work.  You have to lift up on the jug and push the spout open.  You could probably make a spacer to do the same thing.

If I fill until the jugs shut off in both sides, it tops off at about 30 gallons.  Way more than I need for any leg I am likely to fly, and about where I have line workers fill it to avoid any fuel coming out the vents.

1 hour ago, Flying Bozo said:

Here is what I use for refueling.

14 Gallons

No lifting

No ladder, fuel standing on the tail gate

Once empty weighs about 15 pounds

Automatic shut off like gas station

no more spills

Larry

Fueler 1.jpg

I've considered one of those. How do you ground it while pumping gas into and out of it? 

Warmi, I have a good sense of humor and able to overlook the charactarization that this is a contraption.

Contraption definition....a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.

I have been using it for about 5 years. I guess you would have about $300 in the while thing including the pump.

No , I actually like it , the contraption comment was related to the fact that it is much more complicated than my current setup ( a set of $30 cans ) and I am just wondering if additional complication is worth the convenience... and the price is a huge  for/against factor as well - that’s why I asked 🙂

Yes, you may ask.... you have to buy the tank and hose and pump separately and then put them together.

tank is a dura max tank about $125 and ZORO on line is offering a 20% discount on the first order.

You will need a nozzle and hose and pump.

Total should come to about $300.

(12 V pump is a Trick Flow 140 from Summit Racing about $104)

You have to put all together.

Thanks FB! 

Yes, that’s what I figured after looking at your setup. I’ve seen the tanks online, but never with an electric pump. You’re looks factory built, nice work. I’ve looked at metal ones with hand pumps and ones converted to electric, they hold 30 gallons. Problem is, still having to fill them with cans, as they are too heavy to move from my vehicle to the hanger.   

I was leaning towards putting a transfer tank in my pickup bed, with an electric pump,  ut that’s way more tank than I need. The fuel could go stale before I use it.  So, the 15 gallon fits the bill, perfect size. Thanks.

OK Sling Pilot,

BTW it is listed as 14 gallons and not 15.. Suits me just fine and have had it for the last 6 years. I can't do the permanent one in the pickup because I use that truck for other things.

Good luck. 

Important to get the Trick Flow pump from Summit because that puts out enough pressure to kick off the handle.

Larry