Verifying if a ADS-B was installed correctly

Animosity2k

So I am looking at purchasing my first CTLS (and airplane in general). The airplane in question has been equipped with the Dynon ADS-B 472 module and the 20/20 antenna to make it ADS-B in/out compliant. The individual I am purchasing it from did not have this install done but the previous owner did. My understanding is that after an install one should have it verified by a local airport after which they will e-mail an FAA report stating if the install was correct. I am trying to find out how I can verify if this was done. The current owner has no such documentation. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

I think you just need to go flying and then go to this web page https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx and submit your flight data ( date, plane info) and then you will get an email contains your ADSB compliance level.

I have done it many times and always got green report back with exception when I disconnected my transponder antenna and then got emails back stating that it couldn’t find my flights or , if it was found , the data was marginal.

You want to do your test flight in an airspace where ADS-B will be required after Jan 1 2020.  In other words, Class D or inside the footprint of a Class C (over, in, or under) or inside the mode C veil of a class B.  FAA wants to see at least a 30 minute flight in those areas to generate he report, preferably with multiple changes in attitude and direction of flight.

Just skimming Dynon's web site, it looks like the 472 is only the 'in' solution. It can be used with their 'out' equipment (below). Then just do the mode C veil flight and get the report (as above). The FAA website has a primary radar coverage area map to help decide where to fly.... cheers!

From Dynon:

ADS-B Traffic: Receives ADS-B traffic targets with precise location, altitude, speed, and direction. Includes both traffic broadcast from other aircraft equipped with ADS-B UAT transmitters and data broadcast from ADS-B ground stations. For full FAA 2020 ADS-B mandate compliance, pair this receiver with Dynon’s SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-GPS-2020 modules for the industry’s most affordable ADS-B Out. 

The log book shows it also had a 20/20 antenna installed at the same time and that it is compliant. Guessing it already had the correct receiver and just needed the antenna?

17 hours ago, SportFlyer1 said:

Just skimming Dynon's web site, it looks like the 472 is only the 'in' solution. It can be used with their 'out' equipment (below). Then just do the mode C veil flight and get the report (as above). The FAA website has a primary radar coverage area map to help decide where to fly.... cheers!

From Dynon:

ADS-B Traffic: Receives ADS-B traffic targets with precise location, altitude, speed, and direction. Includes both traffic broadcast from other aircraft equipped with ADS-B UAT transmitters and data broadcast from ADS-B ground stations. For full FAA 2020 ADS-B mandate compliance, pair this receiver with Dynon’s SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-GPS-2020 modules for the industry’s most affordable ADS-B Out. 

Honestly, I don't even thing a logbook entry stating compliance testing is required.  Sure, the equipment is required if you travel through the listed airspace after Jan 1 2020.  But compliance is tested every time you fly, and you can bet ATC would let you know if they are not seeing your signal.  But the equipment is not strictly required for all aircraft, so I don't think compliance testing is either.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't have a statement of testing in the logbook if you have the equipment installed, I'm just pondering any actual requirement for same.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, Animosity2k said:

So I am looking at purchasing my first CTLS (and airplane in general). The airplane in question has been equipped with the Dynon ADS-B 472 module and the 20/20 antenna to make it ADS-B in/out compliant. The individual I am purchasing it from did not have this install done but the previous owner did. My understanding is that after an install one should have it verified by a local airport after which they will e-mail an FAA report stating if the install was correct. I am trying to find out how I can verify if this was done. The current owner has no such documentation. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

What provides the “out” signal? You need either a transponder that provides it, or a separate device - a lot of options there.

I replaced my Garmin Mode C with the Dynon ADS-B transponder.

21 hours ago, SportFlyer1 said:

No need to guess about the plane's equipment, just go to the FAA website and ask for a report on a known flight and they will tell you if its squawking correctly.

So for instance Sunday I am ferrying the plane from California to Ohio. Where on the site do I go to ask for a report? Do I need to let them know about the flight prior via the same site?