Chronic Flat Tires

andyb

In the almost 4 years I've owned my CTLSi, I've probably had 8 flat tires.

The most recent one was from a Desser tube and tire that was replaced during my annual 2 years ago.  While I realize that they're very sensitive to being installed and inflated properly, in this case for sure it was properly inflated, and it was installed by a very experienced/capable CT A&P.  And, of course, it was fine for 2 years.

Often times, like this one, it just got flat while in my hangar.

Any throughts?  Different tubes maybe?

Thanks!

Andy

If nothing was found that punctured it. I was either low pressure ;and cold weather or maybe a poor tube. I used to get them all the time until I started making the students check tire pressure all the time. Especially in the winter. Haven't had one in a couple of years now

Pinched tubes between the wheel halves, probably.  I had it happen once.

When you put the tubes in, inflate them a bit so they hold a good shape, and be very careful when you put the two wheel halves together to keep the tube away from the seam all the way around.  Also, use the Desser "Leakguard" tubes, they are much thicker and less prone to leaks.

Went to the hangar this morning to drop off some things and found one of my main tires flat - again. That's my 3rd flat on the mains in the 11 months I've owned my CTLS. Both were due to punctures, probably mesquite thorns. So, I get to fix another @#%&ing flat! 

My experience with Desser. I have had tubes from desser for type certified aircraft go flat. The problem was that the tubes were larger than normal and would get a fold inside the tire and would fail in a few months. These tubes were made in Mexico and were supposed to be certified. I only use high quality tubes now .

I know this sounds simple and almost impossible to believe but it is very difficult to put tubes in if they are Matco wheels. It take an extreme amount of care. There is no room for error. Use some clamps and make absolutely sure by using a flashlight to look in and verify the wheel is not pinching the tube. Sometimes you can pinch a tube and it will last for a while before deciding to go flat. 

The tubes I had were new, bought by a friend for his plane. Desser replaced them but I did not use them. There were no identifying marks on them other than "Made in Mexico". I only use Goodyear or equivalent quality. I have never folded or pinched a tube in over 45 yrs. 

I love Matco wheels and brakes.

That withstanding, it is almost an art form to replace tubes in the wheels, without getting them pinched between the wheel halves. Especially with the tundra wheels. Tires and tubes are heavier and tougher to maneuver. That’s why I use 4 large “C” clamps (Home Depot Aviation Supply) and plenty of talcum powder.

It's in the Matco instruction manual. You run fishline between tube and inside of wheel with tube partially inflated and wheel halves not tight. You can get all the way around to the valve in both directions. Tighten wheel bolts some and do it again. Do this until wheel halves are too tight to allow fishline movement. Torque wheel bolts and fully inflate tube.