Help! Need to replace the PC310 and there are none

opticsguy

51 minutes ago, SportFlyer1 said:

Now might be a good time to think about an MRA for a lighter lithium ion battery.

When I looked weight difference between a PC-310 and equivalent Lithium IRON (you don't want ION) was about 2.5lb.  Not enough to justify the $350-400 cost.

But if you can't get a PC-310...

47 minutes ago, John Vance said:

How about the Enersys SBS-8?  I’ve been using the -15 version but the -8 should fit your box. These are pure-lead AGM batts like the Odyssey. I bought mine from OSI Batteries and have been very happy with them. 

The Enersys SBS-8 is an approved battery for either the CTSW or CTLS according to the maintenance manual.

Talked to Tom at FD, and put in a Earth-x yesterday.  It took about 20 minutes.  I tested it by starting the engine.  Usually after a month without starting it would crank for about 5 seconds and then start and run rough (like 3 cylinders) for about 30 seconds.  This time it started instantly (faster than my car) and ran smooth right off.  A huge difference.  $400 down the drain, but I think it will be worth it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you do a direct comparison to lead acid then the ratios are (roughly) 4x the capacity in the lithium and 4x the charge/discharge cycle capacity.

What most don't talk about is the discharge rate.  The lithium battery will dump out more energy quickly if needed without damaging the battery.

Most lead acid batteries can be discharged to only about 50% of capacity.  So if it's a 50 amp/hr battery you can only pull out about 25 amps and your voltage will sag pretty bad. 

With lithium you can pull out 80% and the voltage will remain essentially constant.

That means when you're taxiing on the ground at night you really can't run down the battery since there's so much power available.

It's more up front but over the long term it makes sense to me.  If you're just replacing the battery to sell then I'd put in the lead acid.

If you are keeping the plane to use it's worth it for those reasons.

That was the first thing I changed on my plane when I bought it.  I plan to fly it for 2 years and then go up to a 4 seater.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...