Console or is it "mushroom"?

NC Bill

I've hear it referred to both ways. Anyway it's the entire housing (glare shield) that contains all 3 separate instrument panels.

I'd like a larger one as in the CTLSs sold after 2010.

My 2008 console has just enough room for 7" SKYVIEWS and I'd need a larger one to accommodate 10" screens.

Any leads appreciated. Flight Design has none.

2 hours ago, NC Bill said:

I've hear it referred to both ways. Anyway it's the entire housing (glare shield) that contains all 3 separate instrument panels.

I'd like a larger one as in the CTLSs sold after 2010.

My 2008 console has just enough room for 7" SKYVIEWS and I'd need a larger one to accommodate 10" screens.

Any leads appreciated. Flight Design has none.

From the assembly manual

image.thumb.png.d4ad0e565ee04ec84445da284cbc9e91.png

Then goes on to say Mushroom in reference to the inserts

image.png.af0d4671a71a99a66540644f582b2b52.png

image.png.15d35567433cb3fa043973ab4110ef21.png

In all seriousness though, I spent a lot of time looking at different CTLSs, and even though some had 7” glass panels and others had 10” glass panels, the mushroom stack looked like it was the same overall size. Just different size cutouts for the screens. And I’m not sure what that material is, but I’m sure it’s some common sheet material that is widely available for custom cutting by any A&P who lays out panels.

I am starting on my panel today for two G3X's with autopilot control head. I believe the ctls panel is slightly different to accommodate 10 inch units. I am using two 7 inch G3x displays.  I have done a lot of custom panels for customers over the years on all types of planes. Having one panel in the CTSW can be done but I don't think it would be easy to access behind the panel for service. It would very heavy and cumbersom with displays, radios etc. to remove. When making custom panels you run into all kinds of unanticipated problems no matter how careful you preplan. Most A&P's do not have the ability to make custom panels and incorporate all the avionics and other electrcal components. It is very labor intensive and takes someone with avionics experience. I have seen a lot of very poor panel installations over the years,  one on a Citation. I am going to make new panel sections and will use components that I use in certified aircraft such as better circuit breakers wtth a buss bar. I am also ELSA which you will have to be to do this.