Lane b warning light

John Lancaster

A couple weeks ago Lane B warning light came on towards end of long flight in my CTLSi. Did not recur in next couple flights but now it’s happening again, most recently this morning, when it came on during climb out and stayed lit for duration of 45 min flight. No other sign of battery drainage or other trouble. Any advice much appreciated. 

Check your generators, if both still working with Lane B light on then you have an indication problem with Lane B.  There are four electrical connector's on top of your fuel injected motor. one is for lane A and one is for lane B.  Aircraft Spruce sells a connector you can put over Lane A & B connections to hold them together and your problem should go away.  Another solution is to take safety wire and wire those four connections tightly together.  This will fix the problem.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, Duane Jefts said:

Check your generators, if both still working with Lane B light on then you have an indication problem with Lane B.  There are four electrical connector's on top of your fuel injected motor. one is for lane A and one is for lane B.  Aircraft Spruce sells a connector you can put over Lane A & B connections to hold them together and your problem should go away.  Another solution is to take safety wire and wire those four connections tightly together.  This will fix the problem.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Two questions: 1) If the battery is continuing to charge normally (as it is), can I assume that the alternator is working as it should and that the problem is with the warning light? 2) How do find the connector sold by Aircraft Spruce? Does it have a particular name? Couldn’t find under Rotax parts but not really sure what I’m looking for. Thanks again

On 7/12/2019 at 4:47 PM, John Lancaster said:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Two questions: 1) If the battery is continuing to charge normally (as it is), can I assume that the alternator is working as it should and that the problem is with the warning light? 2) How do find the connector sold by Aircraft Spruce? Does it have a particular name? Couldn’t find under Rotax parts but not really sure what I’m looking for. Thanks again

If you call aircraft spruce and talk to Brian, he will know the part number. Roger Lee got them and installed them for me. They are like a clip.

Bill, I forgot I took a photo of the clips when I attended Roger Lee's Rotax course in Tuscon.  See the two (I believe stainless steel) clips on the #1 and #4 wires.  This is a 912 ULS engine.  Looks like the part # is visible as well.

clips.jpg

Thanks, still confused on one point—how do you determine whether Lane B warning is just a sensor/wiring issue or a genuine problem with the alternator? As I said, battery is charging normally so I’m assuming there’s nothing wrong with the Lane B alternator, but don’t know enough to be sure