My new CTLS's Journey Home .... JAQ > FAT > DAG > HND > FMN > ICT > EVV > ARR > MDW > LPR

Animosity2k

So I spent the last 3.5 days ferrying home my new to me 2012 CTLSi. It was quite the trip! Stopped in a ton of places (none of which were on my original intended list). Didn't get to do Sedona but I still had a blast (Even landed in Vegas and spent the night walking around there which was unexpected!). I want to thank @KentWien for his help in planning and @Jeremy MacGregor for completing the PPI on the plane. for all of the help he provided me.  Sadly the one evening we landed in Aurora IL at 11:45 and the FBO was closed. We quickly jumped over to Midway and I hopped into position #1 in front of two Southwest 737s. Hope everyone enjoys the photos! Click the below you tube link to check out some of the videos I have uploaded so far!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5VYG81Fos-rogl5_PbMzRw

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

Airports we flew to.PNG

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

BXYX9560.JPG

HDBV3556.JPG

CKMU7547.JPG

HHRU8240.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

Thanks Kent! Going through my photos I came across this one.... I had not noticed at all when taking it, but could this possibly be the hoover damn, flying over it from the back side and not the front (thus why you can't see the big concrete wall).... Im pretty sure this is it. How disappointing flew over it and never even really noticed what I was looking at from 9,500 feet.

EPBL4674.JPG

EPIW7646.JPG

27 minutes ago, KentWien said:

That’s it! See the secondary road they built to bypass the tourists stopping in the dam. 

That’s awesome! Wish I would have realized it and could have put a request in to descend a bit lower. The photo with all the reflective panels and the giant light. Any idea what that is? I spent a half hour googling. Not sure. It was about 40 miles outside of Vegas if I recall correctly. 

Epic journey and great photos!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only owner who has the left Dynon configured as a 6-pack. 😁  After having flown round instruments for so many years, my scan wasn't adapting to the ribbon views.

4 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Congrats Mike.  How did the dongles work out?  Everything (including Garmin) synced up ok?

Good work !

I bought the $9.99 dongles on Amazon vs the $39.99 skyviews. They worked perfect. Garmin does not seem to sync w/ Skyviews nor could I push foreflight to it but that was ok. Pushing it to the skyviews was good enough. Some of the frequencies in the Garmin 797 though were outdated from what Foreflight had so I think it needs an update. Anyone well versed in how I can do that? Also my landing light was dead the entire time so all the night landings and taxi's were in the dark ;)

32 minutes ago, Andy A said:

Looks like Tuesday was a serious day of flying...about 10.5 hours.  That 6 hour and 38 minute leg was pretty impressive.

Yea, I remember people saying someones butt could never handle more then a 3-4 hour leg. 6+ and my butt was fine!

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Nice pics, thanks for sharing, and congrats on getting your bird home!  Which guy are you in the photo?  What type of license do you have, Sport or Private?

I'm the skinny guy with all the tattoos! I am neither ; I am a Sport Student and took a friend along who is a private for the ride. Still did every single thing the entire trip from Communications to Landings/Takeoffs however sadly cannot log it! :( Not to concerned though as I met the minimum sport hour requirements already (however I probably would have satisfied most of a the private requirements on such trip (we even shot ILS approaches). I just need to do my FAA Knowledge / Checkride but Im too scared still as I do horrible under pressure.

I have a 2014 CTLSi that looks identical to yours, inside and out.  My Garmin 797 needs to be updated also.  I tried to do it last year and realized it is a huge PIA to get the unit out of the dash to update.  You have to take the 4 screws at the corners of the panel out then take the gps unit out of the mounting bracket.  If I recall, the mounting bracket blocks where the cable needs to connect to the gps.  I bought a cable with a 90 degree bend to permanently mount to the gps to make it easier in the future, but haven't gotten around to installing it.  Also, you have to have an account with Garmin. 

5 hours ago, Andy A said:

I have a 2014 CTLSi that looks identical to yours, inside and out.  My Garmin 797 needs to be updated also.  I tried to do it last year and realized it is a huge PIA to get the unit out of the dash to update.  You have to take the 4 screws at the corners of the panel out then take the gps unit out of the mounting bracket.  If I recall, the mounting bracket blocks where the cable needs to connect to the gps.  I bought a cable with a 90 degree bend to permanently mount to the gps to make it easier in the future, but haven't gotten around to installing it.  Also, you have to have an account with Garmin. 

How much is the account with garmin? I may go up to the hangar and try to pull it tomorrow. 

16 hours ago, EB3 said:

Epic journey and great photos!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only owner who has the left Dynon configured as a 6-pack. 😁  After having flown round instruments for so many years, my scan wasn't adapting to the ribbon views.

I am kind of in the middle - I prefer the ribbon views except for the VSI - to me the analog VSI version is much more readable and just feels more natural.

I'm with you on that, the VSI gauge was easier to read. I enjoyed reading it so much, my CFI started barking at me to watch my altitude instead since the VSI was a lagging device. That was a surprise, but he was right. Now that Animosity has seen the whole country, I guess its time to sell the plane 😮

On 7/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, Animosity2k said:

That’s awesome! Wish I would have realized it and could have put a request in to descend a bit lower. The photo with all the reflective panels and the giant light. Any idea what that is? I spent a half hour googling. Not sure. It was about 40 miles outside of Vegas if I recall correctly. 

Pretty sure that’s the Eye of Sauron.