Garmin 796 Removal

Animosity2k

All airplanes may not be the same. On mine, midway up on the 796 to the right is a 3 mm hex screw you need to turn out approximately a quarter or turn one way or the other and that should release the 796. However, you need to grab the right side of the 796 and pull that out first. It may be difficult if it is in tight so you might have to pry a little bit but it Has to come out right side first. The left side has an antenna wire attached.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, Duane Jefts said:

All airplanes may not be the same. On mine, midway up on the 796 to the right is a 3 mm hex screw you need to turn out approximately a quarter or turn one way or the other and that should release the 796. However, you need to grab the right side of the 796 and pull that out first. It may be difficult if it is in tight so you might have to pry a little bit but it Has to come out right side first. The left side has an antenna wire attached.

Duane, the only reason I wanted to pull it is I recently noticed when ferrying it home the Frequencies were outdated for some airports compared to what foreflight has. Do they charge me to update those?

6 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Duane, the only reason I wanted to pull it is I recently noticed when ferrying it home the Frequencies were outdated for some airports compared to what foreflight has. Do they charge me to update those?

As per Ed, yes they do.  You should have gotten a plug in "cradel" for the 796 from the owner.  When updating it can take a long time so you will want it in that cradle.  If you did not get one, you should call the previous owner.

Go to the "fly garmin" web site and you can see the updating expenses.  Sounds like yours may be way out of date and needs a software update for the operating system as well.  That may be free.

You may also be able to update using the removable SD card.  You will see that after taking the unit out of the dash.

17 minutes ago, Duane Jefts said:

As per Ed, yes they do.  You should have gotten a plug in "cradel" for the 796 from the owner.  When updating it can take a long time so you will want it in that cradle.  If you did not get one, you should call the previous owner.

Go to the "fly garmin" web site and you can see the updating expenses.  Sounds like yours may be way out of date and needs a software update for the operating system as well.  That may be free.

You may also be able to update using the removable SD card.  You will see that after taking the unit out of the dash.

I don't see the expense to update the frequencies? 

Really? I've never heard anyone mention Garmin as being a bunch of expensive, money grubbing, highway robbers before ... oh wait, that was me in my head, lol.  I only have experience with the 696 which I tilt out of the cradle and remove the SD card to be refilled from my PC through FlyGarmin. Actually I have 2 SD cards that I rotate, so I can pop in the new one and go fly right away.  Since the 796 has Bluetooth, I'm surprised they don't update that way using an  app, or through Garmin Pilot.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Ill try to remove my screen tomorrow and see how easy it is! I remember someone saying it was almost impossible to remove from a CTLSi. 

Not difficult.  Just make sure you turn the 3mm hex head a quarter turn and pull the 796 out from the right side first.

2 hours ago, okent said:

SportFlyer1, is there any particular type of SD card that is necessary for the 696?  I will just buy a second card like you have and rotate them out.

I would call garmin on the SD card thing.  I just updated mine today and I just plugged it into my laptop and downloaded the new updates. You need to have Garmin Desktop installed but once on the "Fly Garmin" website it takes you through all the necessary steps.

34 minutes ago, Duane Jefts said:

Not difficult.  Just make sure you turn the 3mm hex head a quarter turn and pull the 796 out from the right side first.

So I do not fully remove the 4 corner screws but just loosen them? And then is there just one wire on the back of the screen? I did NOT get a cradle from the original owner, is there another method to updating?

4 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

So I do not fully remove the 4 corner screws but just loosen them? And then is there just one wire on the back of the screen? I did NOT get a cradle from the original owner, is there another method to updating?

Post a picture please. Cradle not required but nice. A simple usb cord to computer and ‘photo type’ connector on the other end, to the 796,will work. I would still call the previous owner for the rest of your 796 related stuff.

okent, my 696 uses a 4 gig SD card, I don't think it can handle a bigger one. Mine is an SD HC version, although I doubt it matters much. The unit reads the card at startup and if there is a difference between its internal database and the SD database, it will ask if you want to update. Reading the SD card takes some time, so don't do it if you're in a hurry.

10 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

Post a picture please. Cradle not required but nice. A simple usb cord to computer and ‘photo type’ connector on the other end, to the 796,will work. I would still call the previous owner for the rest of your 796 related stuff.

Will do. I am going up to the hangar today. Do you happen to know what size HEX screw it is or should I just bring all the allen wrenches I have?

43 minutes ago, SportFlyer1 said:

okent, my 696 uses a 4 gig SD card, I don't think it can handle a bigger one. Mine is an SD HC version, although I doubt it matters much. The unit reads the card at startup and if there is a difference between its internal database and the SD database, it will ask if you want to update. Reading the SD card takes some time, so don't do it if you're in a hurry.

I use an 8 gig SD HC with the 696.  As SportFlyer1 mentioned, you can access the 696 SD slot (in at least some installations) by releasing it and tilting it out a bit. I usually update it while doing touch & go’s or airwork, to eliminate the need to pull it out. I’m not familiar with the 796 cradles, but it seems there might be a way to access the slot without removal.