Garmin 796 Removal

Animosity2k

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all and especially Duane J. at Ryan!  I'm not on this board as often as I should, but I have a CTLSi and have encountered this issue and thought I'd share my experience.  Duane is exactly right (no surprise there I expect - ha!).  I take my 796 out to do the updates because it gives me a chance to explore the many modes and options at home and it has the added benefit of connecting the unit directly with Garmin so it is fairly easy to check for software/firmware updates as well as the various database updates.  The first time I removed it from the panel was a little stressful.  I thought I might break something.  Then I remembered a suction mount I had for my iPad.  I placed the suction cup on the 796 screen, locked it on and the unit just popped out.  If you are at Harbor Freight, they actually sell a small suction grabber for about $3.

I bought the North America bundle so I could fly in Mexico.  Have not done that yest, but I did join Baja Bush Pilots for a nominal fee.  They have country check lists and advice as well as some planned trips.  Yup, Garmin is proud of their software and is may seem expensive, but it really is more than just frequency updates.  I like the "safe taxi" charts and use them at new or unfamiliar airports and it is nice to run my flight plans on both systems to check that everything agrees.  After a yean and a half now I've mellowed on the Garmin and actually like some features better than the Dynon - and that's saying a lot!!  HA!

Safe flying!

Walt

On 9/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Slowpilot said:

Hello all and especially Duane J. at Ryan!  I'm not on this board as often as I should, but I have a CTLSi and have encountered this issue and thought I'd share my experience.  Duane is exactly right (no surprise there I expect - ha!).  I take my 796 out to do the updates because it gives me a chance to explore the many modes and options at home and it has the added benefit of connecting the unit directly with Garmin so it is fairly easy to check for software/firmware updates as well as the various database updates.  The first time I removed it from the panel was a little stressful.  I thought I might break something.  Then I remembered a suction mount I had for my iPad.  I placed the suction cup on the 796 screen, locked it on and the unit just popped out.  If you are at Harbor Freight, they actually sell a small suction grabber for about $3.

I bought the North America bundle so I could fly in Mexico.  Have not done that yest, but I did join Baja Bush Pilots for a nominal fee.  They have country check lists and advice as well as some planned trips.  Yup, Garmin is proud of their software and is may seem expensive, but it really is more than just frequency updates.  I like the "safe taxi" charts and use them at new or unfamiliar airports and it is nice to run my flight plans on both systems to check that everything agrees.  After a yean and a half now I've mellowed on the Garmin and actually like some features better than the Dynon - and that's saying a lot!!  HA!

Safe flying!

Walt

Walt what are the chances you could make us all a video of you removing it and post it on youtube for us? Are you saying you literally remove none of the hex screws and just suction cup and pull on the screen?! Seems crazy. 

Hi!  I didn't mean to say that it was just the suction cup.  There is a 3mm hex head just to the right and center (top to bottom) of the 796.  It is a 90 degree "quick throw" that moves a  lever in and out of a grove in the 796.  Left to release, right to lock.  Other members have mentioned it.  Good idea about a short video.  mI'll give it a shot!!!  Thanks!  Walt

• 1 month later...