What is the current best ADS-B in and out deal?

ibjet

Just did a search for the best ADS-B deal for my situation (fairly bare panel). I'm using a tablet for my GPS right now. I figure, if I'm gonna go to the work, might as well have capability of seeing traffic. I have a mini iPad I might install if the aviation apps are better. I guess ForFlight is being used already for ADS-B In? 

Appareo looks like the best solution right now to me. That would be their Stratus ESG Transponder (I love that it fits in where my existing Transponder is and that I can keep my altitude encoder and antenna) and their Stratus 3i receiver. The Transponder is about $3k, and the Stratus 3i is available with installation kit at AC Spruce for $500. 

Not sure how long this package has been available. 

Anybody familiar with this set up?

Any better package available for low end $'s but with In & Out? 

I did similar, but it was the Garmin GTX 335 w/WAAS.  The 'in' is a GDL 39 that puts traffic/wx on the 696. If I want to use Foreflight or Garmin Pilot on my tablet, the GDL 39 will Bluetooth the info to it.  However I'm using Avare (since its free) and the tablet knows where it is (internal GPS). About 5k all in.

But if you're looking for cheaper there's the GDL 82(?) that connects or clamps to the transponder coax and adds the ES info and GPS data. Or the uAvionix combo (around $1300) and add the Stratus 3i or whatever for the 'in'. I bet there's more...

GDL82 + whatever in box you like, IMO.  The 82 is easy to install, I did it myself in a couple of hours.  If you order from Aircraft Spruce they can make you a plug & play wiring harness, you just run a wire from the harness to the ground block, one to a breaker for power, and a couple of coax cables.  Literally could not be easier, and it’s Garmin so you know they will continue supporting it.

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I had not seen the GDL82 and hearing that it worked out for you Andy is great! Surprised that Garmin came out with a low end and simple solution. Did you install any ADS-B In Andy? I'm using a tablet and Avare, if I could keep them (and see traffic), that would be awesome. Assumed I would probably have to install the mini iPad and buy ForeFlight to see traffic.  I might just do it in 2 stages, go with the ADS-B out first. Once I get the ADS-B in, then I'll be really tempted to fly into the LV area, ha ha. It would be nice to visit North Las Vegas airport, there is a Flight Design dealership there. 

Again, thanks!

ET

That's the downside of using Garmin, they only support a select few apps:  Garmin Pilot, FltplanGo and ,of course,  Foreflight.  Avare has quite a string of supported 'in' devices, but they can't crack Garmin. So no traffic or weather on my Avare for now. As you can see, my panel is a stock D100/D120 with the 696 in the middle. Unseen is the GDL 39 behind the panel and the Xaon on top of the glare shield is long gone.

2015-12-23 14.22.53.jpg

Thanks Tom, looks great! I think I"ll go with the GDL82 and search for an ADS-B In that talks to Avare. 

If I knew that the Stratus ESG has less current draw, I'd be tempted to go the extra bucks. I guess I probably could get all that info (have to know the draw of the existing transponder too). Right now I can turn on everything and I don't turn on the gen light. 

I think I'll  put my bike in and fly to Big Bear Lake for my next outing (fly into some place cooler, ha ha). It's only 154 nm. for me. 

Thx again.

I did my search and found out that the Stratux ADS-B In works with Avare. I've got to read up on that more, I think I also read that there is an added feature that you can download for Avare now that is related to using ADS-B input. 

On Statux's ads, they show a display that I really like (I'm attaching below). Can anyone tell me what App this is? It just looks like the perfect us of a tablet or iPad screen. I was not aware I could get AHRS function too, wow, excited, ha ha. 

ET

DSC00081.jpg

Looks like this is ForeFlight Mobil (this type split screen appears on the ad for Stratus 1S & 2S). There's some really convincing testimonials for using ForeFlight. So, now I gotta research that. It is very professional and that is good, but I dread swimming in information for days and days before I can use it! I'll never forget my first Nav Radio, it was a Loran. OMG, it took me a couple of weeks of reading before I could use it. Then, it had about a 7 mile error in location that they could not correct! We've come a long way (we dinosaurs, ha ha).

ET

ET,

The best deal on ADS-b is the uAvionix echoUAT. This is assuming you already have a working Transponder that you want to keep, which is apparently the case if you're considering the GDL-82.

The echoUAT + SkyFYX-EXT is $1,399. As I understand it, it provides 2020 compliant ADS-B out for LSA and experimental aircraft. It's has a 978 mHz UAT transmitter so it can only be used in the US and below 18,000 feet. It including a WAAS gps (the SkyFYX-EXT part). It also provides ADS-B in for weather and traffic, in a format common to most non-Garmin devices and broadcasts this data with built-in wi-fi for handhelds. Finally, it receives both 978 and 1090 mHz ADS-b signals directly from other aircraft.

I don't have one of these, nor do I know anyone who has one. So, I'd like you to get one, hurry up and install it, and then let us know how it works.

Mike Koerner

Wow, thank you Mike! With those 2 items I can stay with Avare for now, and switch to ForeFlight later. And I get a hard wired system, not a portable receiver. Awesome!!! 

Off subject: Hey, I was just trying to remember the big salvage aircraft warehouse they have at Torrance airport. They had their name in hug letters. Hmmm, I think it was NAGLES??? Maybe that was before your time, ha ha. I miss flying into Torrance airport and I miss flying over to Catalina! Hmmm, I'll have to check into a camping trip there via my folding bike. I think the campground is about 5 miles from the airport.

Thx,

ET 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, ibjet said:

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I had not seen the GDL82 and hearing that it worked out for you Andy is great! Surprised that Garmin came out with a low end and simple solution. Did you install any ADS-B In Andy?

Yeah, I have a Stratux box I purchased from iFly and it works well with my iFly 740b GPS as the display.  I might buy a Garmin GDL-39 so i can move my traffic and weather to the iPad running Garmin Pilot, but for now I'm pleased with my setup.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mike Koerner said:

ET,

The best deal on ADS-b is the uAvionix echoUAT. This is assuming you already have a working Transponder that you want to keep, which is apparently the case if you're considering the GDL-82.

The echoUAT + SkyFYX-EXT is $1,399. As I understand it, it provides 2020 compliant ADS-B out for LSA and experimental aircraft. It's has a 978 mHz UAT transmitter so it can only be used in the US and below 18,000 feet. It including a WAAS gps (the SkyFYX-EXT part). It also provides ADS-B in for weather and traffic, in a format common to most non-Garmin devices and broadcasts this data with built-in wi-fi for handhelds. Finally, it receives both 978 and 1090 mHz ADS-b signals directly from other aircraft.

I don't have one of these, nor do I know anyone who has one. So, I'd like you to get one, hurry up and install it, and then let us know how it works.

Mike Koerner

There is some question whether the EchoUAT will require preflight GPS briefing before flights into ADS-B airspace, since it's not TSO'd.  We'll have to wait for a clarification from FAA on that...

Thanks again gentlemen! My head is about to explode, been trying to absorb a bunch that I don't know about ADS-B and about flight planning.

Just thought I would say that it is looking like Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B Out kit (which is TSO'd) and a Dual  XGPS 170D Receiver would be my safest way to go. I still would like a built in ADS-B Receiver so I'll look around and mull it over some more. Oh, forgot to mention, some may not know, the XGPS 170D is compatible with Avare and ForeFlight. 

Again, Thx to all,

ET

Ya,  I thought my head would explode too. Another thing to consider is asking the installer what he thinks is a good equipment combo (and what he's willing/certified to install). Maybe I should give up and use Garmin Pilot on my tablet and get everything Bluetooth,  I just hate paying them a subscription ... oh well.

Hi Tom,

I plan to install my own ADS-B equipment, make use of my Repairman license. There is a validation process that you go thru with the FAA to verify your ADS-B Out signal. We don't have any  Avionics shop in Kingman. If I would have to, I would use a shop at the North Las Vegas Airport. I have a contact there (they do work for Kingman Airline Services).

ET 

It's unfortunate that the FAA made this equipment so complicated and confusing for installers and owners.  They should have just integrated the in/out portions into a single device spec from the outset, and then manufacturers could build devices to that spec and there'd be no hassles with in vs. out, multiple vendor compatibility, blah blah blah.

Indeed I agree, there are numerous failure modes for a string of daisy chained devices. I think they will have ongoing headaches with finding equipment failures, then notifying owners, then rechecking for compliance. Today ATC can just look at their 'scope and say "I'm not seeing an altitude report from your transponder, recycle it please." With ADS-B its not so simple.