Airspeed Indicator Background Color

Animosity2k

Scoured the books and couldn't find an answer. I am using the 6 pack style gauges on the 10" Dynon Skyview on my 2012 CTLS. I noticed the background color of the box the IAS Number sits in changes sometimes from Red to White.... Does anyone know what this is indicative of? I cannot find it anywhere. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Are you sure it's not just the system changing colors to keep the display element readable under different conditions based on lighting and/or what's behind it on the display?

I do not see how that would be the case. It constantly changes even under same lighting conditions. I'm talking about constantly changing back and forth. 

Just now, FlyingMonkey said:

Does it happen at certain speeds, or at all speeds?  If there former it's probably an airspeed range setting.  If the latter it's likely a Dynon problem.

Have not really noticed. Seems the higher speeds are red, and the lower have the white background. I wondered if it had to do with flap speed limitations or a glide speed? I asked on the Dynon message boards as well! I'm also having an issue with the stall indicator going off on takeoff even with barely any back pressure or large angle of attack. 

@FlyingMonkey

See the photo I attached from a newer Skyview D1000 manual. It only talks about the "Ribbon" style IAS gauge but if I am correct these background colors in the red represent exceeding airspeed limitation V speeds. Im just confused on why they would be on at such speeds as I don't believe I was exceeding any limitations. 

airspeedindicator.JPG

On an normal non-digital airspeed indicator, there are colored arcs.  White for normal flap speeds, green for the normal operating airspeed range, Yellow above Vh (structural cruising speed) and red at Vne (never exceed speed).  If you are not actually exceeding the Vne for your airplane (145kt), the speed ranges may be incorrectly set in the software.  

According to what you posted, It's possible your speed ranges are set to use TAS instead of IAS, and you are exceeding 145kt TAS (maybe in a descent at higher altitude while keeping the power in?).  In any event, don't ignore a red speed indication if you're not sure what's happening, that could be dangerous.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

On an normal non-digital airspeed indicator, there are colored arcs.  White for normal flap speeds, green for the normal operating airspeed range, Yellow above Vh (structural cruising speed) and red at Vne (never exceed speed).  If you are not actually exceeding the Vne for your airplane (145kt), the speed ranges may be incorrectly set in the software.  

According to what you posted, It's possible your speed ranges are set to use TAS instead of IAS, and you are exceeding 145kt TAS (maybe in a descent at higher altitude while keeping the power in?).  In any event, don't ignore a red speed indication if you're not sure what's happening, that could be dangerous.

Where can I go to check these settings? And as you indicate they should be set for IAS NOT TAS correct? This happens often in the pattern. I'm at 70-80 knots level flight and I'm in the red. Or turning base and its red. Now that I think of it its very often always in red. I did a 2300 mile ferry ride home and it was read 3/4 of the time. I'm thinking some settings are way off. I assume I get all of these values from my POH? Sorry for all of the questions I am new to Aviation, new to FD, and just plain new :) . 

16 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Where can I go to check these settings? And as you indicate they should be set for IAS NOT TAS correct? This happens often in the pattern. I'm at 70-80 knots level flight and I'm in the red. Or turning base and its red. Now that I think of it its very often always in red. I did a 2300 mile ferry ride home and it was read 3/4 of the time. I'm thinking some settings are way off. I assume I get all of these values from my POH? Sorry for all of the questions I am new to Aviation, new to FD, and just plain new :) . 

You should not be in the red at 70-80kt, whether TAS or IAS.  Not sure where to look for the settings, I'm not a Skyview user.

If you are getting random stall warnings when you are absolutely sure you are not even close to a stall then perhaps these two things are connected and reflect some issue with your particular installation/calibration.

The red color range is used by some systems to indicate both , over-speeding ( VNE ) and also flying below the stall speed ... perhaps that’s what you seeing and it would also explain all these audible stall warnings ..

16 minutes ago, Warmi said:

If you are getting random stall warnings when you are absolutely sure you are not even close to a stall then perhaps these two things are connected and reflect some issue with your particular installation/calibration.

The red color range is used by some systems to indicate both , over-speeding ( VNE ) and also flying below the stall speed ... perhaps that’s what you seeing and it would also explain all these audible stall warnings ..

Perhaps! On Sunday I will take a look and see if I can play with them. Unfortunately without flying I am not sure I will be able to troubleshoot any of it so my fingers are crossed the weather holds up. 

1680378071_IMG_0958(1).thumb.JPG.91311cdd4c6f8ae6fecb3ec4240156e8.JPG

You should not be in the red at 70-80kt, whether TAS or IAS.  Not sure where to look for the settings, I'm not a Skyview user.

Here is another photo I found from my trip back from California. 78 Knots, so again unsure of why anything would be in the RED at 78 knots. Even looking at the other numbers such as TAS and GS they don't appear to be anything excessive. Flight appears to be fairly straight, level and coordinated...

46 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Suggest you review:

SkyView System Installation Guide - Revision AE,  pages 3-14, 5-20

PFD SETUP > AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS – Enter this menu to configure the V-speeds and specify optimal flight parameters such as best angle of climb speed, best rate of climb speed, and maneuvering speed.

Airspeed Limitations Use the values on this page to set IAS tape colors. Set V-speed (e.g., stall speed in landing configuration) thresholds on the Airspeed Limitations Page (SETUP MENU > PFD SETUP > AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS). If your aircraft limitations are expressed in TAS rather than IAS, set Vne EXPRESSED AS: TAS. If you do set Vne EXPRESSED AS: TAS, this will affect the Autopilot Pitch Axis MAXIMUM AIRSPEED. The values on this page are default values that act as placeholders. You must adjust these values to work with your aircraft for any colors to show up on the IAS tape and also to be able to calibrate the autopilot servos.

Thank you for all your help! I am assuming I just want to take my numbers in IAS from the POH?

22 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Thank you for all your help! I am assuming I just want to take my numbers in IAS from the POH?

That’s fine.  Just be aware that as you get higher in altitude, there is a crossover where TAS becomes the accurate number for Vne.  I think the crossover is above 12,000ft though, so it should rarely if ever come up.

That’s fine.  Just be aware that as you get higher in altitude, there is a crossover where TAS becomes the accurate number for Vne.  I think the crossover is above 12,000ft though, so it should rarely if ever come up.

Received this reply on the Dynon Forums.... Seems exactly the issue I am having and my skyview software was just updated June 26th when I had my PPI done. 

"Dynon Technical Support has acknowledged that a bug has appeared in the June 3, 2019 release of Skyview 15.4.7, wherein the indicated airspeed readout turns red about 85kt when configured in six-pack configuration. According to Tech Support, the item is on the list to be fixed, but there is no estimate when the bug will be resolved.

For a quick fix I tried reverting to Skyview 15.3.5 (May 23, 2019), then installing the then-current Aviation Database, FAA_av1907_ob1904_15.4.7.duc, but still got the red IAS. 

So if you see red when you look at your six-pack airspeed indicator, at least you'll know why."