Latest Update on FAA’s Plan to Change Light-Sport Aircraft Regulations — July 2019

WmInce

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's weird there is talk of not allowing Sport Pilots to fly all of the potential new LSA under the new definition, whatever it turns out to be.  The rules are written such that SP rules are built around LSA...to change that would require a rewrite of the whole section defining Sport Pilot privileges.  

I guess time will tell...

26 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I think it's weird there is talk of not allowing Sport Pilots to fly all of the potential new LSA under the new definition, whatever it turns out to be.  The rules are written such that SP rules are built around LSA...to change that would require a rewrite of the whole section defining Sport Pilot privileges.  

I guess time will tell...

I think its a matter of existing sport pilots were trained to lower max gross and/or lower max speeds. Theoretically they don't necessarily have the training to step up.

15 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I think its a matter of existing sport pilots were trained to lower max gross and/or lower max speeds. Theoretically they don't necessarily have the training to step up.

If existing Sport Pilots need endorsements and additional training, that's fine.  If they are going to create a two tier LSA system, where Sport Pilots can't fly all airplanes designated as LSA, I think that will be counterproductive and confusing.

10 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

If existing Sport Pilots need endorsements and additional training, that's fine.  If they are going to create a two tier LSA system, where Sport Pilots can't fly all airplanes designated as LSA, I think that will be counterproductive and confusing.

Concur.

I don't think that is where it's going.

11 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That would be pretty stupid , even for the FAA but then again, these are the same folks who brought us the recreational pilot certificate - with 200 active participants vs 600 000 or so PP certificates. By these standards having about 12 000 or so SP certificate holders is a smashing success ( with many more PP holders without medicals flying under SP privileges) - if they keep that certificate category intact and get the new LSA rules in place, getting a SP certificate may become a valid option for majority of people who just want to fly recreationally and not just the only option for folks who can’t get the medical.

IMO, they should do away with the third class medical and the Sport Pilot and Recreational ratings should be closed out to those that don't already hold them. 

An abbreviated checkride procedure to bring SPs up to PP only testing on the portions of the PP curriculum not included in the SP checkride (radio navigation, night flight, etc) would be welcomed, but I doubt that would happen.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

IMO, they should do away with the third class medical and the Sport Pilot and Recreational ratings should be closed out to those that don't already hold them. 

An abbreviated checkride procedure to bring SPs up to PP only testing on the portions of the PP curriculum not included in the SP checkride (radio navigation, night flight, etc) would be welcomed, but I doubt that would happen.

There you go again . . . using logic.