What is the the TYPE and EQUIPMENT Code for Flight Following

DJ Todd B

I recently completed a 5000+ Mile Cross country trip in July and used Flight Following the majority of the time.  I was asked several times by the controllers what my EQUIPMENT Code was and what type of aircraft I was in.  I didn't know the code and it was apparent that LIGHT SPORT was really not in their vocabulary.

For those that use Flight following, I would be curious to know what EQUIPMENT CODES you use and what type of aircraft verbiage they are looking for from us.

Thanks.

Todds Summer Trip 2019 - Map with lines.jpg

What AGLyme said, the type code for a Flight Design CT is FDCT.  Usually when I pick up flight following, after contact and they give me a squawk I'l say something like:

"Squawk 1234...aircraft type identifier is foxtrot delta charlie tango."

ATC usually appreciates you telling them the identifier, and if you don't they'll usually ask at some point.

For equipment, I think you can use "/G"  -- That is GNSS (GPS) and Mode C Transponder.  I have never been asked for equipment, and they shouldn't need it for VFR flight without a flight plan filed.  If you don't know the codes you can always just say "equipped with Mode C and GPS" and they will figure it out.

Nice long cross country route, BTW!

2 hours ago, Andy A said:

I think the /G can only be used if you have an IFR certified GPS.  But I also think the only time you would need to provide that information is if you were filing an IFR flight plan.  I may be wrong though.

When I looked at the descriptions, /G was for GNSS (GPS or GLOSNAS) and Mode C, and actual GPS RNAV was a different code.  But I'm certainly no expert and can be totally mistaken here.

I've been asked "Say equipment" a few times over the years while on VFR FF. I answered in plain English at first ("mode C transponder") and then later with "/U" (even though I had a portable GPS). Since I'm not IFR, I figure whatever equipment I have or don't have is moot, other than the Mode C TP. 

Also, thanks for the tip about Foxtrot Delta Charlie Tango. I haven't used FF since I acquired my CTLS, so that tidbit helps since I had not yet looked up the identifier for my bird.  With my previous plane, an Aerotrek A240, I'd tell them Echo Foxtrot Oscar X-ray. 

I have been asked as well on VFR FF, I did refer to the AIM, table 5-1-3 Since I have GPS and Mode C, I Use /G

In the Notes it states:

image.png.74fd1b9b37f31727af5c4b0074a9ad1a.png

image.png.08eb853904e32ba0197544c4756324a6.png

I have not found anywhere what specifies as a GNSS nav, whether it be a IFR certified or not, But when I navigate, I will be most likely going direct via GPS, This is what ATC wants to know.

I maybe wrong but that is how I interpret it.