When is it too windy to fly

John Lancaster

I’d planned to depart KACK this morning in my CTLSi. Surface winds reported at 19kts gusting to 27. I sat in the cockpit, still tied down, and felt the airplane rock with each gust. Wind was blowing straight down the runway but I decided I didn’t want to taxi in those conditions and aborted the flight. Was I being overly cautious? Does anyone out there taxi in those conditions? When crosswind is not a factor it seems to me that taxiing is the biggest challenge. Could find no guidance in the POH but perhaps I missed something. Thoughts?

I am not in a position of teaching anything yet, but, I can only share my thoughts on the subject which is what you requested. 

I have a CTLSi as well.  Still learning after flying mine for 8 months.  My personal wind max made via trial and error is: 10, gusting to 16, and no more than a quartering cross wind.  My home airport has frequent shear due to a lot of factors so I dial it back perhaps more than most on this site.  Naturally, I have returned from day trips and Mother Nature forgot to adhere to the "Windy" (website) forecast memo... breaking these rules slightly and I make it fine... but Taxiing and Taking off aren't the issues, the plane tracks well... it is the landing I am still working on, and working on, and... working on.

CTSW manual says ground operations should not be attempted above 25kt.  It’s not an actual limitation, but a good rule of thumb.  It might be an uncomfortable conversation with an NTSB investigator who asks why you ignored the factory recommendation.

That said, I and others have both taxied and landed in higher winds.  I personally need a good reason to go flying above 15kt or so.

One day I went to the airport and the windsock was sticking straight out and perpendicular to the runway.  I was confident in my flying skills and thought "this should be fun".  I did one takeoff and landing and when I got on the ground, I parked it.  I think the winds that day were 15 with gusts to 18.  So far, that was the only time I was a little concerned about my safety in the CT.  I've landed in winds a little over 20 mph directly down the runway and didn't have any problems.  The biggest challenge for me is when I get to the last 100 feet of altitude and the trees start to block the wind, it takes some fast thinking to go from crabbing 40 degrees into the wind to 0 degree crab because the trees are blocking the wind...all close to the ground.  I have also experienced high speed winds being funneled through the opening between the hangers that can cause problems just before landing...while your plane is at low speeds.  You have to stay ahead of the plane when its windy.

You are not alone, I scrubbed a flight during runup as my plane was being buffeted by sudden gusts of about 20. I just had no confidence I could taxi the plane around without it being flipped on its back.  I think the POH has 16 knots as the demonstrated crosswind and 24 total wind. A few of my trips have ended in gusty winds, but I don't start them that way now. My personal limit is around 10 total wind to start a flight unless I expect relief at my destination. Once I landed in 12-15 and a wing was picked up during rollout and only full opposite aileron got the main gear back on the ground, just a reminder to me to pay attention, lol.  Around AZ, wind is about our only weather worry and we get plenty of it.

I have about 300 hours now in my CT and winds still get my attention all the time.  I won’t go if gusting above 20 and even 12G19 may cause me to re-think.   Every so long often I think about taking a flight in a heavier plane to remember what that was like:)  of course everyone has their tolerance and skill and should make their decisions accordingly.   

Given that we normally fly for recreation and not punishment, just stay in your comfort zone. Conditions that are ok for one may not be ok for

someone else. Ed flies in the mountains and is probably used to more wind and strong up / down drafts than someone that flys the flatlands.

I fly out of a short grass strip and am comfortable with it but if you are used to a mile long runway my home strip may be a tad short.

Take off is optional landing is mandatory. 

Unless I really have to/want to make the flight, the weather has to be such that I will have a pleasant flight.

Even when I really have to/want to make the flight, such as on a trip, there have been many times in my 54 years of flying that I have stayed on the ground.That's even more true today knowing that my proficiency, reflexes, etc are not what they used to be.

So, now I usually want a comfortable flight and my biggest question is "are those pancakes or donuts worth it?"

I have no absolute numbers when it comes to wind. A lot depends on where I will be flying. 15G20 in the flatlands may be fine but in mountainous areas not so much. Here in the Willamette Valley the coastal range starts rising about 12-15 to the west up tp 4,000 MSL. To the east the Cascades start rising 15 - 20 miles away and go up above 10,000 MSL. At my airport, Independence State (7S5) elev 175 MSL, the wind is usually from the north or south straight down the runway with +/- 30 degree deviation.

So, for me at 7S5 when it gets above 12G15K or if more than a 10K direct cross wind I start looking for something else to do. Especially on a warm summer afternoon when turbulence gets uncomfortable.

The plane will certainly handle more. I have handled cross winds up to 20K but it wasn't fun. It's even more interesting when that direct cross wind is gusty, say 15G20. 

Probably just a walk in the park in Ed's country!!:D

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I know this is an older thread but here's a question for you. I'm still a student and had a couple bounces in my very first landings and have been very decent ever since up until yesterday. I hadn't flown solo since October due to needing to get signed off again and my instructor being on vacation and went for my first night and winter flight with my instructor 3 nights ago. I aced the landings that day and he signed me off for solo and for nights. There was no wind and at one airport it hadn't been plowed and had 1" or so of snow covering hard pack ice/snow. While I didn't care much for not being able to use the brakes and sliding around a bit, I did fine. So I go yesterday and there's a bit of wind, not much, but gusting. Want to say only 7-8 knots but a direct 90 degree crosswind. (27 knots aloft, was neat to see 135 knot GS). On landing I could have and should have choose the narrower shorter runway that had some ice but prefer to land on the 6000 footer that Delta uses and have been sidestepping gusty landings besides, so figured I'd go for it. First attempt the gusts had me second guessing when I was about 10' off the tar so I went around, 2nd time my control was better but I wasn't paying enough attention to airspeed and dropped it at about 55 knots with 15 flaps. I bounced fairly well, pegged the throttle and landed on the short runway fine.

Question being: how much of a bounce can a CTLS take on the gear? Will the tires blow before gear failure/issues? I've never flattened a tire to my knowledge with a bounce (had about 3 total so far) but it always makes me cringe knowing these things are carbon fiber and not being sure if a tire or wheel would fail prior to gear failure, or what specifically to check should a bounce happen again. I assume pull the skirts off the top of the gear where it meets the fuselage? Thanks in advance!